Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Old digital Equipment is it worth anything ?? need a Value

Started by globalmark ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Old digital Equipment is it worth anything ?? need a Value

5 posts
  1. HI Have some old Camera Equipment and Just want to know roughly what it's worth so I can sell it /Swap it for something more Useful. See below Any thoughts on Values much Appriciated.

     

    Both Old setups are Perfectly working Above and Below water just Older as I have just gone to a Digital SLR setup underwater I no longer need this stuff.

     

    Sony Sony Underwater Setup

    X1 Sony Camera 3.2mp DSC-P5 (new Like condition)

    Inc Charger, x4 Batteries, Manual/CD, Case , All cables , Sony memory stick

    X1 Sony VAD-PHA (Adapter for use on land with other lenses, etc)

    X1 Sony Marine Housing MPK-P5 (Good Condition works Perfectly) Inc sony Grease

    X1 Sea-Sea to Sony Housing Adapter ( to fit sea-sea Lenses )

    X1 Sea-Sea Macro Lens 1:2 ML-II/ 2T

    X1 Sea-Sea Macro Lens 1:3 ML-II/ 3T

     

    Olympus Set up

    X 1 Olympus c-765 4mp Camera (Good Condition) 10x optical Zoom

    Inc x2 (NEW) Batteries, Charger, x3 XD Cards (256mb,16mb,16mb), Cables

    X1 Underwater Housing OLYMPUS PT-022 Good Condition Inc Olympus Grease

    X1 Olympus Adapter to fit other Lenses on Camera (Ubove water use)

     

     

    Will fit Both

     

    Macro lense and Optic Zeis 0.45X wide Angle Lense (above water use)

     

    X1 Sea-Sea Base DX-STAY (fit most Cameras Inc sony/Olympus)

    X1 Sea-sea DX-ARM

     

    Also Have Sea-Sea YS-25 Strobe + Optical Cable and fittings for Above cameras

     

     

    Cheers Mark

  2. In the spirit of "it's worth what someone is willing to pay", I would suggest going to eBay and checking out the sales prices on closed auctions. Always hard to say on older digital stuff, but don't set your expectations too high -- I did a quick look and there were three DSC-P5 underwater packages that show up in completed listings and they went for between $20 and $60 for camera, housing and basic accessories . . .

    Edited by MikeO
  3. Hi Mikeo

     

    Thanks for the Info , I have had a quick look at ebay and found the odd sony Camera , Couldn't find housings Though , I just wondered in photo forums people might have a Better Idea .

    Unfortunately every manufacturer makes a new housing for a New camera - would be nice to have a housing that fits all cameras for one make.

     

    Anyway Thanks

  4. At some point it may be worth just keeping as opposed to selling. It could be worth having as a just in case things go wrong at least there is something to shoot. At the price there is little risk financially if it is lost or gets banged around and it has a small footprint it terms of weight.

  5. HI Have some old Camera Equipment and Just want to know roughly what it's worth so I can sell it /Swap it for something more Useful. See below Any thoughts on Values much Appriciated.

    Both Old setups are Perfectly working Above and Below water just Older as I have just gone to a Digital SLR setup underwater I no longer need this stuff.

    Sony Sony Underwater Setup

    X1 Sony Camera 3.2mp DSC-P5 (new Like condition)

    ...

    Olympus Set up

    X 1 Olympus c-765 4mp Camera (Good Condition) 10x optical Zoom

    ...

    Will fit Both

    Also Have Sea-Sea YS-25 Strobe + Optical Cable and fittings for Above cameras

    Cheers Mark

    Mark,

     

    All this gear has some real value. Anyone wanting to get into UW photogrpahy should appreciate a P&S that has manual controls and the ability to control an UW strobe. Most of what's sold today in P&S with a plastic housing is Auto-everything and doesn't provide any control of flash. They're only good for shallow snorkelling. The only exceptions I see are the Olympus EPL-1, the Canon G-11 or the Nikon P9000 for several hundred dollars more.

     

    I'm not familiar with the Sony you have but the Olympus is still a very much appreciated camera on www.dpreview.com on the Olympus Talk Forum. The Olmypus set-up should fetch around $150 to $200, or more. Search for Underwater Housings on eBay and watch what these sell for. Anything similar will give you an idea of what people are willing to spend.

     

    I think you need to provide photos of the equipment, camera specs' and links to reviews of the cameras.

     

    I'm selling my Olympus C-8080 in an Ikelite housing. Look in the classified ads here on Wetpixel to see how I advertised it. I added two posts with comparisons to the current line-up of P&S and why you need manual control in a P&S.

     

    Too many people are willing to just let these expensive and perfectly good digital cameras sit on the shelf, but they still take good photos. Some of these are better than what's being made today. We tend to discard yesterday's quality electronics for today's latest gimmick. That's marketing. A DSLR is a valid upgrade, but the P&S is still a good camera.

     

    'm having a hard time letting my C-8080 go for any price because it's such a good UW camera. It takes very good images and I learned work-arounds for the limitations of a P&S, like prefocusing to eliminate the shutter lag. Like you, I upgraded to the Olympus E-330 DSLR in an Ikelite housing. Using a DSLR UW is a real improvement but at a big dollar cost. And the level of difficulty to set it up and use different lenses just multiplied by a factor of about 4 times.

     

    Good luck with the camera sales.

    Dave

    Edited by whaleshark
Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.