This video was shot by my colleague Chris Tan on a Sony PMW-EX1 in a Gates housing with a Fathom SWP44C super wide angle port. We used the SxS cards on this occasion, will post a film using the convergent nanoflash recorder later if anyone is interested.
Fantastic colour,
Thanks for sharing,
Mark
Very nice!!!
Thanks for posting. Always love Scubazoo stuff.
Jo
Nice to see more EX1 underwater material Be good to see how the Nano looks as well.
Dive safe
DeanB
When's the best time of the year for a Maldives trip. I turned down two fam trips a few months ago and am now regretting the decision.
Steve
When's the best time of the year for a Maldives trip. I turned down two fam trips a few months ago and am now regretting the decision.
Steve
You can dive it any time of the year but if you're focussing on certain animals or areas then you need to check you're there in the right monsoon. Enjoy
When's the best time of the year for a Maldives trip. I turned down two fam trips a few months ago and am now regretting the decision.
Steve
Steve it is year round diving, but there are definitely a few 'special' times to go for each atoll. It's hard to research because all the resorts of course tell you that it is wonderful diving all year round, which it is, but sometimes it can be that little bit better if your timing is right.
Personally we love the Maldives. It lacks in the diversity of Indo/PNG/Malaysia/PI etc but it more than makes up for it with the shear biomass of fish that you find there and the chances for big animal encounters.
Cheers, Simon
Simon, any recommendations on land based diving in Maldives ? I love liveaboards, but my girlfriend is a new diver. Looking for something with great diving, but luxurious to keep her happy.
I've read that there are plenty of whale sharks but that there are many tourist snorklers jumping in the water around them as well. Kind of like Belize in the spring when the whale sharks come to nurse and breed. What season in the Madives seems to bring in the whale sharks?
steve
Ron I've only ever been to the northern Atolls. Kuredu is good value, although personally I think they have overdeveloped the island a bit and lost it's desert island appeal. The next door island is Komandoo which is a bit more exclusive and quieter. They have a great liveaboard that departs from Kuredu and sails the Lhaviyani, Noonu and Baa atolls including the Manta phenom of Hanifaru Bay.
Steve I've never been to the Southern Atolls where you find the Whalesharks, but I've heard the same as you have The Whalesharks and Mantas are not really seasonal as they appear to be in the Maldives all year round, but they will change locations depending on the Monsoon. The liveaboards out of Male basically just go where the best chances are to see the big animals and for a pure diving holiday they are the best bet. We've found that shore based dive centers cater for holidaymakers who dive rather than divers on a diving holiday.
Overall the Maldives are great value for Europeans and we've always had a good time there diving and on shore Hope this helps!
Cheers, Simon
Thanks for the info Simon..now to see if I can get back those fam trips