Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

5D Mkii Housing recommendations

Started by ACampbell ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

5D Mkii Housing recommendations

9 posts
  1. Hello! I'm looking to save up for a Mkii and housing, any recommendations? This will be my first DSLR housing, I shoot with a Powershot right now. I'd prefer it to be under $2500 if possible, I'm a student. Next year around this time I'm headed to the Socorro Islands in Mexico on a liveaboard and have been wanting a Mkii for a long time. I probably will get a 17-40mm L lens.

     

    I've heard from a Nikon user a bad thing about the Ikelite housings for the D300's and the 8 in dome port... his and several other photographers housings flooded and Ikelite will not get back to them on this. Anyone had experiences with the Ikelite housings for the 5Dmkii's and Ikelite customer service? I was looking at the Ikelite because it was the cheapest but now I'm a little hesitant because of their customer service...

     

    Anyway some suggestions would be nice!

  2. Please list the names of the housing manufactures that will cover you camera and lens if the housing floods.

  3. Please list the names of the housing manufactures that will cover you camera and lens if the housing floods.

    I don't know of any, as I said, I'm new to the whole DSLR housings, but for customer service to not even respond, coupled with what seems like more than just a few incidences of this makes me a little wary. It could just be the bad examples sticking out and overexaggeration of how many with this problem though. I'm mostly after some good recommendations and experience with various models.

  4. I use Ikelite for my 5Dm2, and have no problems with leakage from the port. The issues I have heard with port floods are mainly from people leaving their rig in a rinse tank, the port getting bumped by another rig, thus letting in water. I am pretty sure that is not a problem exclusive to Ikelite. Otherwise, there are no data suggesting that Ikelite have a higher proportion of leaks than most other system (however in an absolute sense there may be more Ikelite floods as Ikelite is very common).

     

    Ikelite is generally considered to be very good at customer relations. It is highly unlikely that Ikelite generally doesn´t answer customer contact questions regarding floods. I have mailed Ikelite numerous times, either directly or through their forum site on Scubaboard, and more or less always received an answer within a reasonable time scale. Some of my questions have adressed what I perceive as faults or weak parts of the housings, but even these questions have received reasonable answers.

     

    More expensive housings certainly can have features that Ikelite does not have (a great example is Hugycheck for Hugyfot housings) that might be worth the extra cost. However I do not believe that flooding risk differs very much between Ikelite and other hosuings (then again, the exception being Hugyfot), so if that is your main concern, you might as well go for Ikelite (or Hygyfot if you can afford it).

     

    And, finally, you need to accept that floodings can occurr, no matter what housing you use and how careful you are. Having good insurance might be the most important purchase!

     

    Regards

     

    Bent C

  5. I have very serious doubts regarding the comments you received regarding Ikelite's customer service. I would place little credence in those statements.

     

    Ikelite has the best customer service of any company I have ever experienced. We have been using at least four Ikelite housings, strobes and related gear over the last four years and have had to deal with Ikelite customer service. All experiences have been great or better.

     

    For example, send them a copy of this thread and see the response you get. You will be surprised at the response.

     

    If you do a search I would venture a guess that you will find the vast majority of hits will agree with me.

     

    I think that 8" domes on any camera can be an issue and are likely the easiest to flood.

     

    The new four lock system from Ikelite makes their new housings much less likely to flood than their old ones.

     

    Any housing, properly handled is unlkely to flood. There are a number of reputable companies that make housings. Each has its' pluses and its' minuses. Cost is just one of many.

     

    Pick the housing you want, learn how to operate it and learn how to handle it in the water. You will get many good years of enjoyment from it if you do that.

  6. I have very serious doubts regarding the comments you received regarding Ikelite's customer service. I would place little credence in those statements.

     

    Ikelite has the best customer service of any company I have ever experienced. We have been using at least four Ikelite housings, strobes and related gear over the last four years and have had to deal with Ikelite customer service. All experiences have been great or better.

     

    I second the above statement. I have been using Ikelite housings since 1970's and have always found them to be first class and very responsive to any issues I had with their equipment. I have never had any port leakage with their housings, but have had such with metal housings by not seeing the seal.

     

    I must compliment Ikelite by offering a great product, at a great value, and with the best customer service. As long as I have been involved in underwater photography (mid 1970's) Ikelite has always set the standard of what customer service should be.

     

    The only thing I see with Ikelite's housings (and the reason I have not bought their housing for my 7D) is the compromised ergonomics from the basic philosophy of one housing design fits all. Another is the weight of the total housing from the lexan material.

     

    If it wasn't for Ikelite making an excellent product that I could afford, I would never have started this life passion.

     

    My recommendation: buy Ikelite with your current budget.

     

    Bo

  7. Thank you all for your replies, I feel better about the product now! I appreciate it. With some luck and work I will hopefully be able to buy my dream rig for my trip to Socorro and come back with great photos and some video!

  8. Get camera flood insurance from DAN or DEPP if you're concerned. Also, I recommend for a "trip of a lifetime" to bring a second camera if you can afford it. That way if you get bowled over by a whaleshark on the first day, or jump in w/ the housing still open (no one's ever done that lol) you can go to the second camera.

     

    Cheers

    James

  9. or jump in w/ the housing still open (no one's ever done that lol) you can go to the second camera.

     

    Cheers

    James

     

    They might have done James, but have never admitted it.

     

    Stew

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.