Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

'Curly' Worm ;)

Started by indigo ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

'Curly' Worm ;)

3 posts
  1. Please would anyone be able to assist me with an ID of this worm. Initially I thought it was a nudibranch as it was so pretty, but on closer inspection it would appear to be a segmented worm.

     

    Approx 1cm in length, not shy. Found on the underside of a piece of loose sponge in a turtle grass bed in approx 30ft water.

     

    Your help is greatly appreciated!Picture

     

     

    Kay Wilson,

    St. Vincent.

  2. Cool! that's a particular favorite of mine. It's a polychaete genus called Amblyosyllis. The curly-q's are dorsal cirri, one pair per segment. They appear to be sponge symbionts but whether they feed on the sponge or not I don't know. Ellen Muller's got a good pic of another species in the genus. This one has it's dorsal cirri mostly uncurled.

  3. Thanks for the kudos, Leslie :B):. The first black and white one I found was on the same sponge two nights in a row. All the others that I have seen were spawning in the water column and attracted to my dive light. They are amazing looking little worms!

     

    102227889.jpg

     

    125259466.jpg

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.