Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

iPhoto to Lightroom???

Started by garyyoss ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

iPhoto to Lightroom???

7 posts
  1. Hello Everyone,

    Having just purchased my first Apple computer, MacBook Pro 15" i7 I have a question regarding workflow.

    I've imported my RAW files into iPhoto, what's nice is that I'm able to view previews of the pictures compared to "My Pictures" on a Windows computer where I had to use either Photo Mechanic or Lightroom to view the pictures.

    I'm unable to import the files from iPhoto using the Library Module in Lightroom though I'm able to drag the files into Lightroom. What I just noticed is that these are jpeg. files.

    After speaking with Apple they advised me to create a "my pictures" folder and bypass iPhoto if I'm going to use Lightroom.

    I appreciate all of your help.

    Thanks,

    Gary

  2. After speaking with Apple they advised me to create a "my pictures" folder and bypass iPhoto if I'm going to use Lightroom.

    I appreciate all of your help.

    Thanks,

    Gary

     

     

    You can export the items as originals to a folder. In other words, when they are imported to iPhoto, the photos are there in a package, but are exportable as originals (the JPEGs and RAWs). Not sure which camera you are using, but the chances are high that iPhoto supports it.

    From the menu at the top

     

    File->Export will bring up a dialog.

     

    The first Tab will bring up File Export. From the drop down at the top you can select originals, navigate to a folder (anywhere you like, including a new folder you create, such as 20100526_CoolReefDive) and export. The JPEGS and RAWS will be there to work with in Lightroom. Just import the folders you created. (I will often make just a place for all my photos. Copy the original files off the card to a General folder that I call Images. Label the cards such as 20100526_NiceDive, then reference those in Aperture and Lightroom, then will (sometimes) bring into iPhoto.)

  3. You can export the items as originals to a folder. In other words, when they are imported to iPhoto, the photos are there in a package, but are exportable as originals (the JPEGs and RAWs). Not sure which camera you are using, but the chances are high that iPhoto supports it.

    From the menu at the top

     

    File->Export will bring up a dialog.

     

    The first Tab will bring up File Export. From the drop down at the top you can select originals, navigate to a folder (anywhere you like, including a new folder you create, such as 20100526_CoolReefDive) and export. The JPEGS and RAWS will be there to work with in Lightroom. Just import the folders you created. (I will often make just a place for all my photos. Copy the original files off the card to a General folder that I call Images. Label the cards such as 20100526_NiceDive, then reference those in Aperture and Lightroom, then will (sometimes) bring into iPhoto.)

     

     

    Thanks Drew for your quick reply.

    Will this create a duplicate file or just move the original?

    Using a D300

    Gary

  4. Thanks Drew for your quick reply.

    Will this create a duplicate file or just move the original?

    Using a D300

    Gary

     

    Will create duplicate files, and iPhoto (has for awhile, guess if you have a old version it may miss the NEF) will export duplicates. In other words, all the iPhoto Library (all originals) will remain as is. Can be a plus or minus once you get a system down. For instance, I will usually import everything also into iPhoto to have a Library or Originals, have my Folder of images and also actually create full Libraries in Aperture. And then make sure to back them up.

     

    I got scarred/scared from a hard drive crash years ago and it works for me. Having backups and a couple of places works for me. (Totally overkill and I am now just backing up the Images files to a couple of drives and primarily using Aperture and Lightroom :) ) But I do like iPhoto also for a few reasons to keep on running it. To me, personally, more so since I also shoot video, the hard drive space is the least expensive part of eveything to keep things backed up. 1 Terrabyte drives are under $100 and store alot of photos. YMMV of course.

  5. Gary,

     

    the best thing you can do is to by-pass IPhoto. Just download your raw and jpeg files to a new directory under my pictures, open Lightroom and import the raw files. I usually delete the Jpegs and keep just the raw files, backing them up on an extarnal hard drive. From lightroom you can manage your raw files and export them as jpeg (8bits) or TIFF (16bits or 8bits) or just any other format you can think of.

    You can also produce "small" jpegs for web publication to FB, Flickr and the likes.

     

    Make sure your monitor is calibrated before starting your workflow on Lightroom !!!

     

    Just my $ 0.02 !!!

     

    All the Best ........ Francesco

  6. Hi Gary,

     

    I deleted Iphoto as soon as i got my mac. I have a particular work flow and wanted m images stored in separate folders according to day time etc. You can do all of this and more in Lightroom so i wouldn't worry too much about Iphoto.

    I import directly from the card into Lightroom, creating files and general keywords as the shots are imported.

     

    Hope this helps :)

     

    Tristan

  7. Thanks Guys,

    I've created a folder My Pictures and download them from there into Lightroom.

    As a new Mac user I initally put a few files into iPhoto figuring that was where they should go. It's a nice place for someone who shoots jpeg. and doesn't do any processing.

    All the best,

    Gary

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.