Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Which lens and port???? Canon 5D + Ikelite Housing

Started by haring ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Which lens and port???? Canon 5D + Ikelite Housing

4 posts
  1. I am planning to buy an Ikelite for my Canon 5D. I already have a Canon 35mm 1.4L.

    Do you think it is good for underwater pictures? If yes, which port should I buy?

     

    I mainly want to have the housing for taking pictures of couples during engagement sessions or post wedding photo sessions. I would use it to take pictures of couples surfing, snorkeling, split images, etc. I am not planning to do serious diving!

     

    I was thinking about the plastic housings but I don't trust them. My camera gear is just too expensive.

     

    What setup do you recommend? You can look at my website to see what kind of images I shoot. You will see I don't dive... :)

    www.haringphotography.com

     

    I don't want to get a fisheye because the look it produces is not always good for what I do. Please help me what to get!

     

    Cheers,

    Otto

    Edited by haring
  2. I am planning to buy an Ikelite for my Canon 5D. I already have a Canon 35mm 1.4L.

    Do you think it is good for underwater pictures? If yes, which port should I buy?

     

    I mainly want to have the housing for taking pictures of couples during engagement sessions or post wedding photo sessions. I would use it to take pictures of couples surfing, snorkeling, split images, etc. I am not planning to do serious diving!

     

    I was thinking about the plastic housings but I don't trust them. My camera gear is just too expensive.

     

    What setup do you recommend? You can look at my website to see what kind of images I shoot. You will see I don't dive... :)

    www.haringphotography.com

     

    I don't want to get a fisheye because the look it produces is not always good for what I do. Please help me what to get!

     

    Cheers,

    Otto

     

    Hi Otto,

     

    Now that you explained your primary use and purpose I would recommend a surfing housing instead of an Ikelite diving housing. You may want to browse the surf photography forum here on Wetpixel. The 35 on the 5D probably work fine for your intended use. I would use a longer lens to keep some more distance between me and the surfer (if I don't know or trust their skill level).

     

    If you are going with the Ike housing anyway, I would recommend to go to their website and see their port recommendations.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Bo

    Edited by fotoscubo714
  3. Hey Bo!

     

    I have checked them and they are expensive as well....

     

    Do surf housings have any features the diving underwater houses don't have? I might as well buy an Ikelite for $1500-$2000.... Am I right?

     

    Thanks for the advice!

     

    Otto

  4. Hey Bo!

     

    I have checked them and they are expensive as well....

     

    Do surf housings have any features the diving underwater houses don't have? I might as well buy an Ikelite for $1500-$2000.... Am I right?

     

    Thanks for the advice!

     

    Otto

     

    Hi Otto,

     

    I replied to your P.M. :)

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.