Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon diopters

Started by frisco ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon diopters

4 posts
  1. I currently use a Canon 250D diopter over a Canon 60mm macro lens and I was wondering if I couse stack another 250D diopter to achieve greater magnification with no significant loss in image quality.

     

    All the Best ..... Francesco

  2. It's a diopter, so adding another one to a lens that already focuses close won't help much. Maybe it will bring the close focus BEHIND the camera :-)

     

    A longer focal length lens will benefit from a stronger diopter more.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. I have 50, 60 and 105 Macro so I bought a 250D (for 50-135mm lenses) since it would cover all 3 of these lenses. But when I read the Canon 250D instruction sheet it mentioned "the numbers 250 and 500 refer to the maximum possible focusing distance in milimeters from the front of the close-up lens to subject when the prime lens is set to infinity". So I'm now on the look out for a 500D for my 105 to keep the longer working distance at maximum magnification. Anybody here using the 500D on the shorter 50 or 60mm Macro lenses for more workable distance? Should I just sell the 250D?

     

    Thanks in advance,

     

    Bo

    Edited by fotoscubo714
  4. If you want to make dedicated macro dives and willing to forgo any chances on critters that you can't get within 25cm of your lens then the 250D is the lens to have. A 500D won't do that much on a 50 or 60mm macro lens and is better used on longer lenses. One thing I like about the 500D is that is teaches you to break the habit of shooting from too far a distance (it has to be within 50cm) without being horribly restrictive.

     

    Bart

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.