Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Advice on reall super Macro setup!

Started by kmsellin ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Advice on reall super Macro setup!

5 posts
  1. Hi there,

     

    Can you pls give me some advice in a super macro set up for Nikon d300s. I have in present time Nikon 60mm lens and diopter. But I want more... More macro and abit longer working distans.

     

    I am very thankful for all tips and advice you can give me!

  2. Hi there,

     

    Can you pls give me some advice in a super macro set up for Nikon d300s. I have in present time Nikon 60mm lens and diopter. But I want more... More macro and abit longer working distans.

     

    I am very thankful for all tips and advice you can give me!

     

    You may want to check out this discussion here.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Bo

  3. If you are serious about macro you will need to get a longer macro lens to start with, either a 100mm or go straight to the sigma 150mm. These will give you more working distance but not stronger macro, they are all max 1:1, but the longer lenses make it easier to add diopters to go beyond life size (diopters give a stronger effect when the primary lens has a longer focal length).

    The other tool to boost magnification are teleconverters and they don't reduce the working distance but do reduce the amount of light reaching the sensor, one stop for 1.4x, 2 stops for 2x etc.

     

    Just remember, the farther you push the magnification the more painful the experience becomes. Unless you have a lot of experience already I think you will be better off by just getting a 100mm lens and then consider adding TC or diopters from there on.

     

    Bart

  4. I agree with the above poster.

     

    The AF-105-VR is my primary lens. It will increase working distance but is harder to work with until you get used to it. Learn to use it first.

     

    After getting used to the lens you can use a teleconverter to get better than 1:1 magnification with the loss of light and/or use a diopter that reduces working distance and depth-of-field.

     

    The subsee +10 diopter gets 2:1 at about 3" working distance but at that magnification and depth of field finding the subject and finding the minimum focus distance and getting appropriate light on the subject for the camera to focus and getting the proper flash exposure is relatively difficult. You should get to know the lens before trying this.

     

    I would NOT go to the Sigma 150. I see no advantage over using a Af-105-VR with a 1.5:1 teleconverter. However I don't have a 150mm and am not yet skilled with my 2:1 TC so other voices may be better suited to compare.

  5. definitely check out ReefNet's subsee. They come in +5x and +10x magnification

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.