Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

How u keep your o-ring

Started by ckchong ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

How u keep your o-ring

7 posts
  1. Hey guys, normally how you keep your o-ring?

     

    I belive all of you will remove the housing o-ring when you not in diving but how about your Ext ring, port or dome and strobe o-ring! Do you remove it also?

     

    Do You apply a lubricant after cleaning the o-ring before you keep it or just clean and store it.

     

    if need to apply lubricant, Can I keep a different brand o-ring together?

    Edited by ckchong
  2. I wipe mine gently round after use to remove any sand etc, pop them in ziplock bags and lube them before putting them back on the housing. As long as you are sure which one fits where there's no reason you shouldn't keep them together. I guess you are worried about transferring different greases - its unlikely to cause a problem unless you over lube them. There shouldn't be any surplus, just an overall sheen.

     

    I keep mine in individual bags, labelled with a felt marker, showing what they are and when purchased so that I can identify them without mistake and know when they ought to be replaced.

  3. I have also found that keeping them in a ziplockbag is the easiest. I clean and lube them up a bit before putting the o-rings into the bag and I Re-lube and re-clean befor use.

     

    Mads

  4. The biggest detriment to O rings is ozone. Store in zip lock bag and push all the air out before sealing.

    If you're really anal, purge with nitrogen, then seal!

  5. What do you use for cleaning them, water or something else?

  6. What do you use for cleaning them, water or something else?

     

    All I do is wipe them clean with a tissue/cloth and store them. Then a quick lube before use. However, this may be overkill seeing that there are still many other o-rings in a housing that never get relief/maintenance until....

  7. All I do is wipe them clean with a tissue/cloth and store them. Then a quick lube before use. However, this may be overkill seeing that there are still many other o-rings in a housing that never get relief/maintenance until....

     

    The only purpose for the silicone grease is to preserve the O-ring. It does nothing for the seal. On some sealed surfaces it makes it easier to slide the port body or port onto the sleeve or housing, but it does not add to the water-tightness of the seal. So the main point of adding silicone grease is to use it before storing, not after storing.

     

    I clean the O-rings with a soft white face towel and maybe a little water. White lint is easier to spot if it sticks to a black O-ring. I clean all of the contact surfaces the same way. Then I look carefully for any lint, sand, dirt or hair that might remain. If lint from the cloth remains I may use a tissue. At my age - I wear reading glasses - I often use a magnifying glass to check the surfaces. It's a lot easier to see that tiny stuff that might stick to an O-ring and make a housing leak.

     

    The O-rings in the push buttons can be lubed by using a Q-tip and silicone grease. I apply a bit of grease to the shaft with the button pushed out. Then I work the button until some of the grease reaches the O-ring. It leaves excess grease on the surface which can be wiped off. Ikelite will service every button in their housings by replacing the O-rings for about $100.

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.