Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon 5D or Canon 5D Mark II Housing?

Started by haring ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon 5D or Canon 5D Mark II Housing?

5 posts
  1. Hey guys!

     

    I have both Canon 5D and 5D Mark II. I am thinking about buying housing for one of them. The housing for the Canon 5D Mark I is cheaper...

    I guess the most important difference (among others) between the two cameras that the Mark II has better ISO.

    The question: Is ISO really important for underwater photography? Should I go with the Mark II?

    Thanks,

    Otto

  2. Hey guys!

     

    I have both Canon 5D and 5D Mark II. I am thinking about buying housing for one of them. The housing for the Canon 5D Mark I is cheaper...

    I guess the most important difference (among others) between the two cameras that the Mark II has better ISO.

    The question: Is ISO really important for underwater photography? Should I go with the Mark II?

    Thanks,

    Otto

     

    As I understand, all the mayor brands have been discontinued the housings for the 5D.

    Unless you locate a used housing, I think your only choice is the 5D mk2.

  3. As I understand, all the mayor brands have been discontinued the housings for the 5D.

    Unless you locate a used housing, I think your only choice is the 5D mk2.

     

    seems to be plenty of "as new" mkII housings around second hand at the moment. have a look on the classifieds here.

     

    I would say that having better high ISO performance is an advantage in some situations underwater.

  4. seems to be plenty of "as new" mkII housings around second hand at the moment. have a look on the classifieds here.

     

    I would say that having better high ISO performance is an advantage in some situations underwater.

     

     

    Hai!

    I have had the 5D and now I have a MKII.

    I would always prefer the MKII.

    Even high ISO helps you underwater making blue water in greater depth or when using filters.

     

    Schorsch :)

  5. if you're mostly shooting macro and wide angle with flash, then the 5D should be pretty satisfactory

     

    if availble light and large animals are important, then you'll be happier with the 5D2

     

    the other issue is value - if (like me) you're only doing 50 or 60 dives a year as a hobby, then it get's harder to justifiy another $3000+ housing every 2 or 3 years - i'm still getting good images from my 20D UW (macro is my priority). i just sold my 5D as i really haven't wanted to use it much after getting a 5D2

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.