I lost the original file of a movie I made when my external hard drive failed. I do have a copy on a DVD which I managed to copy onto my new i7 MacBook Pro (I just like writing that part). I can burn a DVD which will play on my Mac or in a DVD player but will NOT play on any PC. I tried switching from DVD-R to DVD+R but the results were the same. What the heck am I doing wrong???? Do I need some kind of software for this?
- 8Posts
- 8Replies
Read-only discussion
Help copying DVD
-
-
I lost the original file of a movie I made when my external hard drive failed. I do have a copy on a DVD which I managed to copy onto my new i7 MacBook Pro (I just like writing that part). I can burn a DVD which will play on my Mac or in a DVD player but will NOT play on any PC. I tried switching from DVD-R to DVD+R but the results were the same. What the heck am I doing wrong???? Do I need some kind of software for this?
If it is not copyright protected and the DVD is in otherwise good shape, no you do not need any software. There could be other issues going on (depending on how it was authored and how you are burning, also some DVD Players can be weird - also if you have a HD DVD could be another issue, but if it is working on a DVD Player then it would not be., Also PCs and WMP can be a pain, VLC is usually better for playback in being consistent.) Lastly if you burned a non DVD, it could be the issue. Computers and some Players may pick it up properly, while others may not (though players usually do not. Also the PC settings may not be set to Auto Play, have you tried opening the VIDEO_TS folder via the playback software?
Try this (there are a few approaches)
1.) Put the DVD in the DVD Drive
2.) Open Disk Utlity
3.) Choose New Image
4.) Highlight the DVD drive
5.) From the top drop down at the bottom of the dialog, change compressed to DVD/CD-R Master
6.) Encryption to none (leave as is)
7.) Press Save
8.) Close the image, mount it and check it plays okay in the Apple DVD Player.
If all is good, then use disk utility to burn as a DVD Master. Usually slower speeds are better and DVD-R was generally more stable for DVD-5 (Taiyo Yuden make good ones), more so with older machines.
Test to see if it works in the player. If not, there are some other approaches, including using MPEG StreamClip to get the m2v and audio off and just redoing in DVD Studio Pro, or perhaps demuxing for use in iDVD (with some quality hit.)
Let me know how it goes one way or the other, and then we can take further steps as needed

-
yeah, tried that first Drew....total non-starter. It's not HD, but someone told me it was because I processed and burned it using iDVD so that without the original files, I can't just copy the DVD because a PC can't read the iDVD file. He may be right but I get so sick of that "Macs aren't compatible" crap from PC users living in the stone age...basically I stopped listening. I have the original footage so I may just re-edit and think of it as an opportunity to "make it better".

-
Then again I have bunt DVD's that work on players and PC's but not certain MACS

Yes make sure autorun is on on the PC you are trying to play it on.
Or use VLC to test as commercial software ones can be a pain in the butt.
Grab the Video and Audio TS folders off the DVD to your drive.
Use your burning software to burn them to a DVD.
Things that can stop them working are.
Brand of DVD.
Software used to burn and what settings you have it on.
Speed of burning.
Bug or bad driver on the computer.
On some NLE you can rip the Vobs straight from the DVD and onto the time line...then just edit.
But of course editing vobs is not a good as the quality you will get editing the raw video files.
-
Someone told me it was because I processed and burned it using iDVD so that without the original files, I can't just copy the DVD because a PC can't read the iDVD file.
I have used iDVD and it has worked on PCs, but PCs can be difficult sometimes. I have had replicated discs that have been spec authored, run through Eclipse and MEI and depending on the PC configuration have gotten REALLY weird things happen. Like trying to reach the internet for plug-ins. Just bizarre.
Also, if you MPEG Streamclip to take out the audio and video you can just try it in DVD SP without re-editing, unless you want to.
He may be right but I get so sick of that "Macs aren't compatible" crap from PC users living in the stone age...basically I stopped listening.2,000,000 iPads sold in the first two months.

-
2,000,000 iPads sold in the first two months.

I read that outloud to my husband yesterday because he sold our Apple stock at $132 last year because his "Macs aren't compatible" Broker told him it wouldn't go any higher. Last time I looked it was at $261.

-
I read that outloud to my husband yesterday because he sold our Apple stock at $132 last year because his "Macs aren't compatible" Broker told him it wouldn't go any higher. Last time I looked it was at $261.
I win: I sold my stock at $12 (pre split) while I was working at Apple Research Lab as an intern in 1997.

-
I win: I sold my stock at $12 (pre split) while I was working at Apple Research Lab as an intern in 1997.

Ouch. I felt bad because I have been going in and out of it recently. When the market had that minor 1,000 point hiccup it actually went down to $199 or so. I really wish I had a buy order in
