You cannot use the camera's LCD to judge exposure.
(turn the LCD illumination to minimum gives you a very slightly better idea of exposure)
Instead use the RGB and combined histograms to determine if you have correct exposure. (histograms crashing in to the righthand side are over exposed, crashing into lefthand side are under exposed, there are no ideal histograms.)
for wide angle:
Red = flash exposure
Green = ambient light (in most temperate waters)
Blue = ambient light (in most tropical waters)
Balancing strobe and ambient light can be tricky.
Get used to shooting in manual mode. (most, if not all, cameras make very dumb mistakes when shooting underwater in program mode)
Have a start point
i.e., ISO100, f/8, 1/30s, strobes at 50%
and adjust from there depending on conditions and which way you are pointing the camera relative to ambient light direction.
To adjust red histogram: adjust strobe power, adjust strobe distance to subject, or add diffuser to strobe.
To adjust green/blue histogram: adjust shutter speed (higher = darker, lower = lighter)
You may have to increase ISO if you dive deeper.
Also, use the "blinky blacks" to look out for highlight over exposure.
Take Care,
ChrisS
hi, this is my 1st time using d90 for u/w shooting. When I shoot at u/w every thing is look ok from my LCD screen " as what I want " but when I down load to my computer my jpg totally look different "under explore" and I open my raw file even worse?