Looking to get my first housed dslr. Seriously looking at a Nauticam housing with Ike and FO connectors for a....D300s, no wait a 7D, hold on a D300s, stop, a ....
I am currently a Canon shooter but that happened back when Nikon was not keeping up with my need for AF speed for what I needed then. However, I always felt that Nikon's took a more pleasing photo to my eye. I think they still do. In some recent tests, it seems as if the 7D may have brought Canon back into the thick of it with regard to pleasing image quality. However, since this will be a dedicated setup and I don't really have any lenses that will work for an underwater setup...I'm willing to start fresh.
Which would you choose and why?
Tony
Tony,
Lots of info here if you do a search. The web is also full of this conversation too. I'll give you my short version. Both are great cameras.
Like dual cards? Nikon
Some folks think Nikon D300s has maybe a half to one stop cleaner image in high ISO setting
Canon 7D if you think 18 vs 12 megapixels is a big deal (you like to crop images?)
Canon 7D if you want to try your hand at video
Based on DXomark lab test, Nikon D300s is slightly better in color depth and dynamic range, but Canon 7D slightly better in noise handling despite the 18 megapixel. (That surprised a bunch of people
) With Lightroom 3's noise reduction capability I'm not sure you'd see the difference anyway.
Your skill and Vision has alot more to do with getting great images than your choice between these two cameras.
If you own a bunch of Canon glass it's an easy call.
Cheers,
Steve