Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Anyone tried this?

Started by John Bantin ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Anyone tried this?

9 posts
  1. I am off to dive a large wreck. Baggage restrictions limit me to a single housing.

    I wanted to use my D700 and 16mm for some natural light/high ISO shots.

    I'm told there is also some macro life now on this wreck.

    I have a DX outfit with both dome and macro ports but no macro port for the D700.

    I have tried my 60mm macro lens and it doesn't foul the dome port of the D700 housing.

    So...

    Has anyone tried to use a macro lens behind a dome port? The macro lens is so close to the port I have a feeling it won't see the virtual image and may look straight through, a la flat port.

    Edited by John Bantin
  2. Hi John,

     

    Will be absolutely fine as long as you don't need to go macro-macro. Good down to small frogfish/ornate ghost pipefish size. Tiny nudibranchs, shrimps etc - the dome will be a limiting factor.

     

    Alex

  3. Hi John,

     

    Will be absolutely fine as long as you don't need to go macro-macro. Good down to small frogfish/ornate ghost pipefish size. Tiny nudibranchs, shrimps etc - the dome will be a limiting factor.

     

    Alex

     

     

    Wonderful, isn't it - Wetpixel? Thanks.

  4. I've shot clown fish with a 100 macro behind a dome port - the only difference that I could detect in the files was that the marginal chroma needed different correction from normal - if you bother!

  5. Hi John,

     

    I've used macro lenses behind dome ports for ages. Starting with a Canon 50mm and F1n body in an Aquatica housing in the mid-80's. I still use Nikon's 70-180 Micro-Nikkor behind a small dome almost as often as I use it behind flat glass. You get a wider angle of view and don't get quite as much magnification. Example: With my 70-180 I can focus down to .75x at minimum focus. With the small dome I can only get to about .4x. With the dome I can shoot larger, grouper size fish, with less water distance. So the dome changes the size range of critters handled most easily. In effect, making it like I have two different lenses. Another advantage of using a macro lens behind a dome is since you are focusing on a virtual image that is much closer to the dome for distant subjects, the lens focus point changes less between infinity and much closer subjects. And because of this the auto-focus is noticably faster.

     

    Fred

  6. They were right!

     

    I needed to photograph some computer displays at depth. I used the 60mm Macro behind the dome port of my Hugyfot D700 and the pics are sharp as a tack.

     

    Here's a little octopus that I met on the way back up. Not extreme macro but good enough 2:1 anyway.

    post-4197-1276184735.jpg

  7. They were right!

     

    I needed to photograph some computer displays at depth. I used the 60mm Macro behind the dome port of my Hugyfot D700 and the pics are sharp as a tack.

     

    Here's a little octopus that I met on the way back up. Not extreme macro but good enough 2:1 anyway.

    Which dome port; 128 or 174?

    Bob

  8. Which dome port; 128 or 174?

    Bob

     

    174

     

     

    Funnily enough, I took the D700 on the trip because I wanted to photograph the wreck of the Don Pedro by natural light using high ISO settings and the 16mm Fish-eye but the visibility was so poor I needed to use flash anyway, just to get some contrast. I could have taken my DX camera set-up with dome and macro ports!

    Edited by John Bantin
  9. 174

     

     

    Funnily enough, I took the D700 on the trip because I wanted to photograph the wreck of the Don Pedro by natural light using high ISO settings and the 16mm Fish-eye but the visibility was so poor I needed to use flash anyway, just to get some contrast. I could have taken my DX camera set-up with dome and macro ports!

    Well boogers! I am trying to find the post about using a macro lens (50/60?) in a dome port on a black water dive. I want to set up a Nikon D80 with the the older 60 mm macro in a Nexus housing with a small dome port. Fully extented, the 60 mm lens is well into, but not touching the Bare dome port (for Tokina 10-17, has about 38 mm extension) with a 20 mm port extension. Since the lens will focus on the virtual image, should I use a longer PE?

     

    Does anyone know the link to macro with dome post? I think is was a blackwater dive.

     

    TIA,

    Bob

    Edited by Deep6
Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.