Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Is anyone using a EF 24-105mm f4L

Started by photovan ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Is anyone using a EF 24-105mm f4L

9 posts
  1. Just trying to get a feel for the success or otherwise of this combo, and what zoom gear you might be using.

    thanks

    darren

  2. Lens gear is 18700.1 same as the Canon 100mm Macro (both I.S. and older version)

     

    Extension is 18458 (63.5mm), altought if you have the 18457 (54.5mm) for the 16-35mm or 17-40mm I would sure give it a try with this one before splashing a few hundreds USD quids on it.

     

    A few of these combo are in use already, altought I dunno if any are on the forum, if so I would also be interested on the performance of this lens for u/w work.

  3. Me too! I already have that gear and an extension for the 16-35 so it wouldn't be much of a stretch to try the 24-105. Maybe I can borrow one...from someone who doesn't know I'll be taking it underwater.

     

    Cheers

    James

  4. A few of these combo are in use already, altought I dunno if any are on the forum, if so I would also be interested on the performance of this lens for u/w work.

     

     

    If you want to send me the housing and the gear, I got the camera and lens and will be happy to test it out and report back. No need to send a dome port. Got one of those already :)

  5. I've tried it with the 8" dome and 2x18453=57mm on the A5D2. I used a +3 diopter and still had blurry corners. I suggest you use the 18458 as there was a bit more space to go. I used the 60mm extension on the S&S MDX Pro and was a bit better on corners (Go read the shootout once it's online... Yes Eric the photos are coming along :))

  6. thanks guys. I'd have it behind my port-adapted Superdome, so seems I have the extension covered, so just the gear is needed.

    I'll follow up with PMooney.

    darren

  7. I am revisiting this thread which never came to any real conclusions. I miss a mid-range zoom for my 5D2/Aquatica set-up - a sort of "hunting" lens if you know what I mean to use when scouting and not quite knowing what to expect. On paper this lens looks the ticket but only if it performs decently underwater behind my 8" dome. I see from Jean's post Aquatica make all the bits for it so surely somebody can comment.....please???

  8. Jim, it's the same here, no feed back, I know I send a few gear/extension for this lens to France and some to the States, but have not heard feedback from anyone (not that I expect people to write back when they get something that works well, the opposite is more likely to happen, should it not work well then you likely will hear about it, sometime very loudly :) , so in a way sometime no news is good news).

     

    I will check the French Forum and see if I can get soething out of them :)

  9. Jim, as I wrote in my previous post up above, I have used this lens extensively with the 5D2 and 1Ds. The review I wrote about the Aquatica A5D2 includes some pics from the 24-105.

    2 things which are rudimentary for this lens is that:

    a. The MFD is a constant 45cm , which means it needs a diopter for the dome port, which means less FOV. I've only tried the +3 and the corners are still blurry with the 57mm extensions.

    b. With a +3 diopter, the longer focal lengths do give a decent macro look but don't expect anything near 1:1. The good news is that with a 8" dome, the lens extends out and as such the curvature gets flatter. I've not tried it behind a flat port.

     

    Read the review and see what you can squeeze out of that.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.