I've ordered a port for my 100 IS macro lens and there is a tiny crack (an inch long) close to rear end not on threads though. I don't have access to company to reject it since I am in a remote country. The crack doesn't make it to the other side of the port. It is just on one side and not deep. Is it a big deal? please share your thoughts.
- 15Posts
- 15Replies
Read-only discussion
crack on port
-
-
I've ordered a port for my 100 IS macro lens and there is a tiny crack (an inch long) close to rear end not on threads though. I don't have access to company to reject it since I am in a remote country. The crack doesn't make it to the other side of the port. It is just on one side and not deep. Is it a big deal? please share your thoughts.
Which housing manufacturer? Is the crack in the aluminum/acrylic/glass/plastic? Sorry, I don't understand from your description where it is. Have a picture?
Steve
-
-
Thank you Steve for your attention
-
We need some help from the Ike shooters out there. Is this something you expect to see? My engineering experience would tell me to be very concerned but I don't have a good handle on where this is structurally.
Steve
-
I would be very concerned as well...
You may try to post this @ the Ikelite Manufacturer Forum on Scubaboard here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ikelite/
Chris
-
We need some help from the Ike shooters out there. Is this something you expect to see? My engineering experience would tell me to be very concerned but I don't have a good handle on where this is structurally.
Steve
From the initial post it seems that the port is to be new and this is not normal for a new Ikelite port. It is normal for old Ikelite ports and housings. Over much time (decades) and many dives my Canon F1 Ikelite housing has developed "cracked skin rash" the cracks are just surface and do not go all the way through the thickness of the lexan.
I would return it, if you can. Although it probably is OK, why take a chance and have this worry in back of your mind?
Bo
-
From the initial post it seems that the port is to be new and this is not normal for a new Ikelite port. It is normal for old Ikelite ports and housings. Over much time (decades) and many dives my Canon F1 Ikelite housing has developed "cracked skin rash" the cracks are just surface and do not go all the way through the thickness of the lexan.
I would return it, if you can. Although it probably is OK, why take a chance and have this worry in back of your mind?
Bo
Thank you Bo. I live on the coast of Persian Gulf and returning it is not possible for me. I'd love to return and since I've purchased through B&H I am sure they'd be more than glad to change it for me but I am out of luck on this. So I rather test it dry once and if the crack stays still and everything is all right as you mentioned, I'll use it then. Thank you for your time and advise.
-
Thank you Bo. I live on the coast of Persian Gulf and returning it is not possible for me. I'd love to return and since I've purchased through B&H I am sure they'd be more than glad to change it for me but I am out of luck on this. So I rather test it dry once and if the crack stays still and everything is all right as you mentioned, I'll use it then. Thank you for your time and advise.
I would suggest you mark the length of the crack with a waterproof marker (like a Sharpie), then lower the housing (empty) attached to a weighted line to about 50 mtrs. Then retrieve and see if your crack has grown in length. If bigger, don't use it. If same, insert camera and keep eye on the crack size during dive. Good luck!
Bo
-
I would suggest you mark the length of the crack with a waterproof marker (like a Sharpie), then lower the housing (empty) attached to a weighted line to about 50 mtrs. Then retrieve and see if your crack has grown in length. If bigger, don't use it. If same, insert camera and keep eye on the crack size during dive. Good luck!
Bo
If possible I would return it as you bought it as a new item and this is not normal. My housing developed a small crack which was fine until the day it started to leak. It is now on its way back to get the upgrade port locks so that will fix the crack as they replace the front. I am in Egypt so I know what a pain it is, mine is now in UK waiting for the next leg of its journey...
Good luck
Duncan.
-
Return it.
It is only a question of when it will propagate, not if!
-
duane@ikelite.com will offer some direct advice. HTH, Tim
-
You might want to let B&H know too. Maybe tell them because of the problem of returning the port you are going to give it a go. But at least then if it fails you have registered your concerns.
-
Since you state returning is not an option, perhaps contacting Ike and confirming the safe use of super glue or adhesive. The goal being to glue the crack so it will not grow worse. If you have access to wood working stores, they sell superglue and superglue accelerator. After shooting the glue into all of the crack, then you spray it with the accelerator. The nice feature of the acc. is that the glue still sets up even if you apply too much glue, which might be likely.
This approach works well on wood and other plastics where I needed crack repair. Seems your situation might be similar and worth a try if they confirm you will do no damage.
Just a thought since return is not an option.
Dave
-
Since you state returning is not an option, perhaps contacting Ike and confirming the safe use of super glue or adhesive. The goal being to glue the crack so it will not grow worse. If you have access to wood working stores, they sell superglue and superglue accelerator. After shooting the glue into all of the crack, then you spray it with the accelerator. The nice feature of the acc. is that the glue still sets up even if you apply too much glue, which might be likely.
This approach works well on wood and other plastics where I needed crack repair. Seems your situation might be similar and worth a try if they confirm you will do no damage.
Just a thought since return is not an option.
Dave
Thank you very much for your help, Dave, I tested it once with weight and it worked perfectly so I am using it since then.