Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

New iPhone

Started by jmauricio ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

New iPhone

7 posts
  1. Wow. can't believe i'm first on this one. Below is a write up I did for my company...

     

    From The Message Boardbody, td, p, div {color: #000000; font-size: 10pt; font-family: verdana;}Apple officially announced the new iPhone today. Key features are a new industrial design, high resolution screen, new camera system and iPhone OS 4 (iOS4). We review the key features below.

     

     

     

    Design, the most interesting element of the new design is placing the antenna around the sides of the device in an effort to improve reception. The new iPhone is 9mm thin, Apple claims is the thinnest smartphone on the market. (HTC Desire is 11.9mm).

     

     

     

    The display is a 640x960 pixel display. More pixels than the human eye can process, according to Jobs. It is exactly 4x the pixels as the 3Gs (thus apps will work!!!!). While existing apps will work fine, Apple is telling devs their apps would look better if they were tweaked for the new resolution.

     

     

     

    Apple included a 5 megapixel camera with LED flash and 720p (30fps) video recording. Flip Video killer? The most interesting aspect here is that Apple is using a bigger sensor. In camera tech terms, bigger pixels = better performance. Apple is also using a back illuminated CCD. This is what Sony and a select group of others are putting into their latest point and shoot cameras. The advantages are much improved low light picture quality. While this still might not replace your normal camera, Apple is addressing the primary use case of camera phones, which is improved performance in indoor situations (artificial light, bars, clubs, etc).

     

     

     

    The new iPhone will use the same, A4, processor as the iPad and will sport a bigger battery than current iPhones. Apple is claiming 7hrs of 3G talk time and 300hrs of standby. This puts it in the same league as HTC Desire. In practical terms, it means 1.5 days of battery life during normal use vs. the (barely) one day of use one gets out of the 3Gs. This also compares similarly to the HTC Desire

     

     

     

    Some key new apps are coming. iBook, Netflix (already on the iPad), Farmville from Zynga, etc. Nice but nothing shocking. Apple are making a big deal over the included front facing camera and their video calling app called Facetime. It is very limited as its Wifi only and only works on iPhone 4. Apple claimed that carrier networks were not able to handle the app. What would make this interesting is if Devs will get access to the camera drivers so that Skype and others can use it for their apps. Even then, video calling has always been a feature with limited use.

     

     

     

    iOS4 – what Apple are now calling the iPhone OS – will ship on Jun 21st. the New iPhone will be out on Jun 24th in the US, UK, France, Germany and Japan. Pre-orders start on Jun 15th. iAd will launch on July 1st. Apple will have Black and white versions. Pricing is as follows:

     

     

     

    $99 for 8GB 3Gs – a new 3Gs SKU

     

    $199 for 16GB iPhone 4

     

    $299 for 32GB iPhone 4

     

     

     

    AT&T are pulling forward upgrade eligibility – up to six months early if your contract is up anytime in 2010. (i.e. sound like they are trying to flush out 3G iPhones and run with 4 and 3Gs)

     

     

     

     

    Pictures: http://www.apple.com

     

     

     

    Here is a chart showing the new iPhone specs vs. the HTC Desire (same as the HTC Incredible in the US except for the camera).

     

     

     

     

     

    HTC Desire New iPhone Screen size 3.7in 3.5in Screen resolution 480x800 640x960 Processor 1Ghz snapdragon A4 Camera 5mp 5Mp HSDPA 7.2 down 7.2 down Memory microSD 16, 32GB Thickness 11.9mm 9.3mm 3G Talk Time 6hr 40min 7hrs Standby Time 340hrs 300hrs Music Time 20hrs 40hrs

  2. Can't wayt to get my hands on it!! :swimmingfish:

    Tough I'm not sure I like the new design :B):

     

    Cheers

    Karel

  3. I'll be purchasing one asap as well. My 3G (non-S) has been getting long in the tooth for a while now. I only wish they had a 64mb version.

     

    I like the look of the new design, but I'm a bit bummed the new case I just got (just over a month ago!) for my 3G isn't going to work AT ALL with the new phone. Oh well.

     

    I'll admit to being a little tempted and intrigued by some of the offering that are coming out for the Android-based phones. Some devs just don't like Apple, and will never port their apps over, even if they would be approved. Of course, other devs are mac-only, so... *shrug* Overall, iPhone has the app edge, but over time that will even out a lot more.

  4. Want one! My 3G is getting very slow.

     

    I see the iPhone4 needs a micro-SIM. As someone who has a small collection of SIMs for overseas travel, I wonder how common micro-SIMs are.

  5. Tim, micro SIMs should be available everywhere within the year. But whatever prepaid cards you have will have to be exchanged (good luck!) or dumped. I have service in 3 countries and my favorite iphone is actually the fake iPhone from china which can take 2 SIM cards. :B):

    The issue of the facetime is whether it'll be Skype/GSM compatible with an app later.

    While I like the new one, BIS just makes more sense for the traveller in terms of reliability and cost of service and connection. Especially in countries where they still charge $100 for 5GB bandwidth!

  6. Tim, micro SIMs should be available everywhere within the year. But whatever prepaid cards you have will have to be exchanged (good luck!) or dumped. I have service in 3 countries and my favorite iphone is actually the fake iPhone from china which can take 2 SIM cards. :B):

    The issue of the facetime is whether it'll be Skype/GSM compatible with an app later.

    While I like the new one, BIS just makes more sense for the traveller in terms of reliability and cost of service and connection. Especially in countries where they still charge $100 for 5GB bandwidth!

     

     

    Thanks Drew. BIS?

    Oh for a multiple-SIM iPhone

  7. Yep, seems like a pretty significant upgrade in features/capabilities. I've been suffering along with my 3G (I'm actually beyond my contract period!) waiting for this. The only question is whether I skip out of work to go wait in line the first day... :B):

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.