Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Another fish ID?

Started by JPS ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Another fish ID?

5 posts
  1. This one is from Tulamben, Bali. The caudal fin is distinctive, but nevertheless I would benefit of help in identifying him/her!

  2. It looks like a tilefish - Family Malacanthidae. In the Allen & Steen book, there is a photo of a Flagtail Blanquillo that resembles your fish. In any case, my guess would be some species of tilefish.

  3. Glad I could help! Actually, I love to watch the sand tilefish of the Caribbean. They really have interesting behavior, which many divers miss by looking for the big animals. I love to get down in the hardpan or sand and shoot macro on the little fish that live there. The sand tilefish in the Caribbean aren't all that small - they grow up to about one foot or so (30 cm) - so they're easy to spot, although they can be very skittish.

     

    Tilefish.jpg

  4. Here's a flagtail tilefish from Maui. It's the only tilefish we have. Hard to shoot before they disappear into the sand. This one was about 6-8 inches.

     

     

    flagtail.jpg

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.