Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

First picture!

Started by fishieness ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

First picture!

13 posts
  1. Hey everyone,

    So I'm going to Australia on Thursday (!) and I got an underwater camera from ebay last week. I figured I might as well go to a pond near my house and test it out, make sure all the seals are good.

    Here's my first picture! Nothing crazy, but I can tell I'm already hooked. :B):

    DSCN1874.jpg

  2. Congratulations! :B):

     

    I can hear the excitement in your post! I don't think anything can replicate the emotions felt when first starting out in uw photography and getting your first images.

     

    Keep up the good work and be sure to share with us images from Australia.

     

    Ellen

  3. All right!!! Another certified member of the asylum. Congrats! Have a blast in Australia and be sure and share when you get a chance.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  4. Top stuff dude :B):

    Haha, where are you going in Aussie?

  5. Way to go! You will be hooked to uw imaging, like crazy! Have fun, and post more pics when you return from your trip.

     

    Jen

  6. Top stuff dude :B):

    Haha, where are you going in Aussie?

    In Perth for a week then to Coral bay for about two. :swimmingfish:

    How do you guys bring your cameras on a plane? I was thinking bring the camera and lenses on my carry on, and then just pack the strobe and housing in with my clothes?

  7. Congrats! Soon You will be spending all Your incomes to this "little hobby" :B):

    And yes - be sure to post You'r results from Aus

     

    Cheers

    Karel

  8. In Perth for a week then to Coral bay for about two. :)

    How do you guys bring your cameras on a plane? I was thinking bring the camera and lenses on my carry on, and then just pack the strobe and housing in with my clothes?

     

    I actually kept my strobe, housing and camera all in my carry-on. I don't trust baggage handlers :D But then again I don't have a DSLR with lens etc so yeah, your way probably works out best.

    The hold is not pressurised so don't forget to untighten the seals on your strobe and casing, don't want them exploding or the seal breaking :D

  9. I actually kept my strobe, housing and camera all in my carry-on. I don't trust baggage handlers :D But then again I don't have a DSLR with lens etc so yeah, your way probably works out best.

    The hold is not pressurised so don't forget to untighten the seals on your strobe and casing, don't want them exploding or the seal breaking :D

    Yikes! That's scary! I managed to pack everything in my carry on! I have the strobe and housing in a backpack and then the camera and lenses in a case as a "personal item".

    Probably should have mentioned what I have too. It's a Nikon coolpix 5000 and Aquatica 5000 housing with an ikelite ds 50 strobe. The package I got on ebay also came with a telephoto sense and a wide angle! I should have internet and such, at least at times, so I will be updating you guys with pictures.

  10. If you're flying from Perth to get to Coral Bay be aware that Skywest (the only airline that flys up here) has very tight luggage restrictions and they enforce them. One carry-on with a maximum weight of 7kg and checked baggage allowance is 20kg before they start charging for excess baggage. When I came home from my recent Philippines trip they made me check in my carry-on camera bag because it was 1kg over the 7kg limit.

  11. If you're flying from Perth to get to Coral Bay be aware that Skywest (the only airline that flys up here) has very tight luggage restrictions and they enforce them. One carry-on with a maximum weight of 7kg and checked baggage allowance is 20kg before they start charging for excess baggage. When I came home from my recent Philippines trip they made me check in my carry-on camera bag because it was 1kg over the 7kg limit.

    I think we're taking a bus. But thanks!

    Also, if you have and tips about Coral Bay whether it be about the town or the reefs, please let me know! Do you have any pictures from the area?

  12. Also, if you have and tips about Coral Bay whether it be about the town or the reefs, please let me know! Do you have any pictures from the area?
    Exmouth is about 130km north of Coral Bay and I have only visited it briefly on a couple of occasions. I've never dived there as the diving at home around Exmouth is excellent and much more varied than in Coral Bay (from all reports) and I never felt the need to travel that far for a dive.

     

    There's plenty of information on Exmouth on our website:

     

    http://www.gudgeon.id.au/Exmouth.html

     

    And heaps of photos from Ningaloo diving on our SmugMug web site here:

     

    http://gudge.smugmug.com/Underwater/Ningaloo-Reef

  13. All right!!! Another certified member of the asylum. Congrats! Have a blast in Australia and be sure and share when you get a chance.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

     

    Hello,

    I am new here, my question is for a Nikon D90, what housing would you recomend me ?

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.