Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

14mm fixed focal length lens

Started by wommby ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

14mm fixed focal length lens

6 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    Does anyone use a 14mm fixed focal length lens? If so, do you think they are very limited or are they just the bees knees? What other problems might there be with this lens and what would a suitable alternative be?

     

    I can't make up my mind on what lens to purchase. I haven't purchase a system yet - just trying to do lots of homework as to what is best for a wide angle set up. I am looking at the Nikon d700 with a Nexus housing. Thought I would add a couple of my photos that I have taken with a sea & sea dx2g

     

    Debpost-25736-1276123160.jpgpost-25736-1276123279.jpg

    post-25736-1276123218.jpg

    Edited by wommby
  2. Hi Deb,

     

    I have been using a 14mm and a 16-35mm and really like them both. It relly depends on what you're wanting to shoot which determins which lens to use.

     

    I mostly use the 14mm for deep wreck shots with low light and the 16-35mm for general shots with lots of light.

     

    But that's just my preference......

     

    Regards,

     

    Lance

  3. Hi Deb,

     

    I have been using a 14mm and a 16-35mm and really like them both. It relly depends on what you're wanting to shoot which determins which lens to use.

     

    I mostly use the 14mm for deep wreck shots with low light and the 16-35mm for general shots with lots of light.

     

    But that's just my preference......

     

    Regards,

     

    Lance

     

    Hi Lance,

     

    thanks for this information. I edited my post and added a couple of photos. What do you think?

     

    Deb

  4. Hi Lance,

     

    thanks for this information. I edited my post and added a couple of photos. What do you think?

     

    Deb

     

    Nice work!!!!

     

    Regards,

     

    Lance

  5. Hi Deb,

     

    Nothing wrong with the images you have posted. What are you hoping to achieve with dslr that your current system cannot do? Make sure it is your goals and not someone else's. If you cannot answer this, don't upgrade just yet.

     

    Squeeze everything out of the system you have. Once the current rig cannot do what you want, then you'll know the answer. And once you know this, you'll know what to look for in new equipment.

     

     

    Cheers

    Someone else

  6. Hi,

     

    Does anyone use a 14mm fixed focal length lens? If so, do you think they are very limited or are they just the bees knees? What other problems might there be with this lens and what would a suitable alternative be?

     

    For the Nikon 14mm f/2.8mm lens, you're paying for a lens with low distortion. That can be great when taking architectural photos, or indoor photos with a lot of straight lines at the edges of the frame, but it is arguable how useful it is underwater.

     

    Many of the wideangle underwater photos that win photo contests are shot with fisheye prime lenses (the most common of these would be the Canon 15mm fisheye on full-frame cameras, Nikon 10.5mm fisheye on crop-sensor cameras, and Nikon 16mm fisheye on full-frame cameras). If you don't have a good fisheye lens, I'd look into getting the Nikon 16mm fisheye lens before buying the 14mm. Also, the Nikon 16mm fisheye is half the price of the 14mm rectilinear lens.

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.