Hi, what is/are the difference(s) between the two versions, say for Final Cut Studio?
Cheers
Richard
Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic
Started by RWBrooks ·
Read-only discussion
Hi, what is/are the difference(s) between the two versions, say for Final Cut Studio?
Cheers
Richard
Hi, what is/are the difference(s) between the two versions, say for Final Cut Studio?
Cheers
Richard
Depends on the software For Instance This Thread
Apple's licenses are Here
In the past Apple had restrictions on Commercial Use and also eligibility for Upgrades.
As shown Here
8Are Academic or Not For Resale (NFR) versions eligible for upgrade to Final Cut Studio (2009)?
Academic and Not-For-Resale (NFR) versions are not eligible for upgrade.
#
What are the differences between a retail and academic copy of Final Cut Studio (2009)?
There are no technical differences between a retail and academic copy of Final Cut Studio (2009). An Academic version includes all features and materials that are included with the full retail version. It is not functionally limited, and output is not watermarked.
Could not dig up the commercial section though.
Also there are requirements to be able to technically purchase the various software...
Hi Drew, thanks for all the links,
It would seem that non-eligibility for upgrades is the biggest sticking point for FCS, but I guess that there must be ways to get around that other than getting a copy of the commercial version.
I have an unregistered version of the academic FCS given to me by a relative at school so I'm wondering on the possibility of upgrading none-the-less.
Cheers
Richard
I am nearly 100% certain that you cannot upgrade educational versions. The upgrade is the biggest bonus, once you have made the initial outlay which is yes not cheap (but still pretty awesome for what you get) it's is very affordable from then on. I upgraded from FCS to FCS3 for $495.... big change very worth it. And lets face it you can tax deduct it anyway... it pays for itself.... my god Apple have brain washed me, I sound like a salesman!
I am nearly 100% certain that you cannot upgrade educational versions. The upgrade is the biggest bonus, once you have made the initial outlay which is yes not cheap (but still pretty awesome for what you get) it's is very affordable from then on. I upgraded from FCS to FCS3 for $495.... big change very worth it. And lets face it you can tax deduct it anyway... it pays for itself.... my god Apple have brain washed me, I sound like a salesman!
FWIW in the US the Studio brand new is now $999 without discounts and the upgrade is $299. When I think of what I paid for for various incarnations of the software in the past, it is a real good deal now.
And no, you do not sound like a salesman nor have you been brainwashed. At least in this Mac Fanboy's opinion ![]()
You don't need to tell me what a difference it makes if you invest in an upgrade! I just went from a '05 G5 to this years i7 MBP and I have to say that I love it! Modern apps work, the web has actually opened up to me because I can download and open files that the old OS wasn't capable of supporting. I now can produce podcasts, my own website and a whole host of other stuff and it all comes as standard in my new shiny silver box. I might even be able to start offering Blu-Ray to those increasing numbers of discerning divers, who knows the possibilities?
It's good to have the right tools for the job, at last.
Cheers
Richard
Another option: ff you have a friend that works at Apple HQ, you can walk into the company store and buy all Apple software for 50% off.
Regarding upgrades, people seem to be referring to the good deal you get it you already own a legitimate full version of an older version of FCS. You may be able to buy one on eBay and use it to upgrade...
Another option: ff you have a friend that works at Apple HQ, you can walk into the company store and buy all Apple software for 50% off.
Though not as good as that one, there are other discounts for people who work for government (is that an oxymoron?
) on the Federal or State Level and EMS/Fire Fighters/Police are able to get the discount. Figured there could be some divers around here who do those things. That discount actually used to be close to 50%, but now is more in the range of 10-15%.
You may be able to buy one on eBay and use it to upgrade...
FWIW, if it is registered already, there are some hoops to technically transfer the license over.
Hoops?
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.