Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Yet another fish ID?

Started by JPS ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Yet another fish ID?

8 posts
  1. Who is the pretty one keeping company to the coral hawkfish? The photo is from Fiji.

  2. It's hard to tell from the photo. My guess is some species of wrasse - Family Labridae. Maybe an Ornate Wrasse because of the dark spot.

  3. It's a type of damsel - can't remember common name right now.

     

    Cheers

    James

  4. Thanks, James. In the new Humann book, I see several possible candidates. Narrowing the range down to Fiji, could it be one of these?

     

    South Seas Devil

    Speckled Damsel

    Blueback Damsel

  5. Thanks for the tips. After some browsing in FishBase I believe this fellow is Ocellate damselfish, also known as Princess damsel, latin name Pomacentrus vaiuli. The image in http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/PicturesSum...30&what=species matches quite nicely.

     

    I hope TMC publishing will continue soon their book series with one about damselfishes! The drawings in Lieske&Myers are quite not enough. Oh well, now that I browse through Allen & Steene there is a half-a-page photo of the princess in page 316! :huh:

  6. Your fish definitely looks like the Princess Damsel on p. 316 of Allen & Steene, but the picture of an Ocellated Damsel in the new Humann book (p. 68) doesn't look like the same fish. Also, the Ocellated Damsel's range is shown to be Indonesia~Sumatra~Andaman Sea, which is much further west than Fiji.

     

    So I think you're right about the Princess Damsel, but I'm not sure that the Princess Damsel and the Ocellated Damsel are the same, at least from the photos that I'm seeing.

  7. What is the latin name for Ocellated Damsel in Humann book?

    Ocellated Damsel = Neoglyphidodon bonang.

     

    And after trying to pronounce that tongue-twister, I'm going to try to get the knots out of my tongue!

     

    :huh:

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.