Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Fish Rock Cave - South West Rocks

Started by jonny shaw ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Fish Rock Cave - South West Rocks

7 posts
  1. From a few days up the coast in April,

    Fish Rock Cave

  2. Very nice Jon! That huge school of rays sure grabs your attention. What a fun dive that must be. Where is it located?

     

    Thanks,

    Steve

  3. Thanks Steve, Fish Rock Cave is located just offshore from the town called South West Rocks, about 4.5 hrs north of Sydney. It is a really special place due to the fact that it sits really close to the continental shelf and also at the meeting point of the warm Coral Sea current and the cooler temperate water from down south.

    I have been diving up there for the last 8 or 9 years and the place changes so much depending on the currents, this year in Jan they had schools of hammers and a whale shark (unfortunately I couldn't get up there then!) but generally there are always Grey Nurse Sharks, Eagle Rays, Bat Rays, Tuna etc etc. It is a fabulous spot, there is generally a pretty good current hammering through which always makes it interesting.... but hey that's what brings the fish!

  4. I had a friend do this dive about a year ago and he rated it very high in his books due to the life that you just displayed.

     

    Nice One

     

    Kelly

  5. Thanks Kelly

  6. Jon,

     

    Cracking video - I particularly like the intro and fast pace of the editing (nice use of the map too). I've dived the site a zillion times and your video sums up the best of the place.

     

    My last few dives there have been fallback dives from some tec stuff we're doing so the current/surge have been wild; I'm looking forward to getting back there on a good day.

    Edited by betti154
  7. Thanks mate, yeah when you get it on a good day it is pretty awesome!

     

    Actually I have just seen how to actually embed on the post instead of a link

     

    [vimeohd]12472018[/vimeohd]

    Edited by jonny shaw
Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.