Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Trevally school @ Liberty Wreck video with Color correction comparison

Started by Drew ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Trevally school @ Liberty Wreck video with Color correction comparison

12 posts
  1. This was part of the shootout review but since it's useful as a side tip... here it is:

     

    [vimeohd]11380929[/vimeohd]

     

    Note that the color correction was an old setting and not optimized. I didn't have time to work on this so I used an old setting. Color grading was done on Color and edited on FCP 7.

     

    Camera settings: Neutral with -2 saturation.

     

    The idea of this clip was a master shot highlighting the following:

     

    1. Dynamic range. The scene had a broad range of lighting, esp with the schooling trevallies. With just 2 settings (ISO160 1/50 f4 and f5.6, the camera covered the scene quite well with blown highlights ( when shooting up @ sky or keeping highlights while shooting in the shadows.

     

    2. Color: range and loss from distance to subject:

    The MWB of the camera is hard to operate but essential as the 8bit color will just make life miserable with color correction in post. Remember my post settings were not optimized for this clip, but it does illustrate what getting WB as close as possible can do with post.

     

    3. Resolution:

    It's more difficult to tell with the VIMEO file but if u d/l the bigger file, u will see the wider long shots, the camera just doesn't have the resolution.

     

    4. Focus:

    The shallow DOF makes it difficult to focus right. Using a fisheye helps with this. Pretty much the entire shot was in focus from anything 2m away from the camera. Given the viz was 15m that day. It was good.

    Edited by Drew
  2. Nice work and steady.

    Lucky you, water abit clearer than when I was there.

    What, no tight tracking shots on subjects :D

  3. Thanks Drew, do you remember the rest of the camera settings? Did you shoot at 1/60th shutter speed at 30 fps and render at 24 or?

    Cheers,

    Steve

  4. Most steady 5D underwater work I've seen Drew...great job!

     

    I like the track too who is it?

  5. Most steady 5D underwater work I've seen Drew...great job!

     

    I like the track too who is it?

     

     

    Radiohead - Reckoner off the Album In Rainbows. Very good group, I think the song most people would know of theirs is "Creep"

    Edited by TheRealDrew
  6. Hey, did you try locking the shutter on 50 and the fstop on say F8 or 11 and let the ISO go auto to see how it goes.

  7. Have you seen how the exposure changes? There is no way I want to do that. I only shoot manually but with the LCD monitor and no zebra, it's hard to judge exposure without the metering. I prefer to control the image instead of letting the image control me. That probably means I'll miss some shots which require rapid exposure changes but that's something I have to live with.

    Edited by Drew
  8. Yeh I hear ya but with my Tokina 11-16 mm, that's how I did my walk through videos of houses and it worked pretty good. The standard lens that came with the camera though was a different story though.

     

    Just thought it may be good for shooting on the run kind of thing that's all, like if you swan in and through that school of fish or through and out the wreck kind of thing.

  9. Wags, as far as I'm concerned, one should always shoot with manual everything, even in uncontrolled lighting circumstances. Electronic exposure isn't the same as blades, doesn't matter which lens. There will always be some sort of noticeable change. AUTO-ISO is probably the most gradual of them all but then you have to deal with noise level changes. Plus I use spot metering so I choose what look the shot should have. Evaluative and average just don't cut it when there is a wide dynamic scene.

    User beware.

  10. the post corrected is on the left?

     

    Just a guess...

     

    You should edit the post to mention that :D

  11. I always assume all readers are smarter than you Mike. Low standard I know. :D

  12. Thanks to those who notified me about compression artifacts in the Vimeo copy. It may be in the original file as well. I don't have the bandwidth to check nor can I do anything about it now. I never really looked at the VIMEO copy as I just uploaded before I left and assumed compressor did a good job. Sorry but it's beyond my control now :D

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.