Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Where to start?

Started by Formatted ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Where to start?

9 posts
  1. Hi

     

    In order so I don't repeat myself I'll add this in - http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=36393

     

    To summarize, I'm going to Bonaire this summer and I'm looking to rent a DSLR housing with a 100mm Macro Port My current gear, ranges from a D700 with a 70-200 mm and 50mm 1.4, Canon 40D with a 100mm macro f/2.8

     

    I don't want to have a massive housing and I don't want to risk damaging my D700 so I think a 40D housing would be better, I'm a dive novice so I wouldn't be using it for that, but rather snorkeling and general messing around.

     

    I've bought a Underwater Photography book that recommended this site but it based mainly around Nikon but also doesn't talk about brands.

     

    What gear do I need? I'll need a strobe of some sort I presume, I'm not even sure what kind of port I will need.

     

    Thanks

  2. Hi,

     

    Some pretty big questions there!

     

    Using a macro lens whilst snorkeling will be a challenge! If you decide to use your 100mm, you will definitely need strobe/s. You will need a flat port for it, what type, and what sort of extensions you may or may not need will depend on what housing you are using. Hiring SLR housings is not the easiest thing to do-most outfitters balk at the cost of maintaining a stock of housings to suit each individual type of camera. I would recommend contacting prospective hire sources early. If you can find one to hire, the supplier will be able to tell you what ports will be necessary.

     

    For snorkeling, I would suggest using a wide-angle lens, behind a dome port. I appreciate this is not an option you have now, but it will not necessarily require a strobe, and will be simpler for you to get to grips with.

     

    If you do manage to find a housing to rent, please share the source here-I'm sure lots of people on the forum would be interested.

     

    Have a great time!

     

    Adam

  3. Hay Adam

     

    Having read the book I refereed to earlier, it can understand that taking a macro lens isn't the greatest idea, when snorkeling. Would the standard kit lens be good enough at 17 mm for a wide angle in underwater photography?

     

    EDIT - Just thought I would add how much I enjoyed looking at your photostream.

    Edited by Formatted
  4. Thanks!

     

    Certainly 17mm will be easier to use than the 100mm! However it isn't as simple as just focal length!

     

    With the cropped sensor in the 40d, most people would choose a fish-eye at 10mm or so, or a rectilinear lens at 12mm or so.

     

    I think (and you may have done this already!) I would find a housing for hire, and then figure out your lens choices. It may be that you are limited by port size and choice as to which lens to choose! Dome ports are "fussy" about lens position and whichever wide angle lens you choose, it has to be capable of focusing close-as it will be focusing onto a virtual image on the inside of the port.

     

    SLR's underwater are complex (and expensive!). It may seem a bit of a downgrade, but I would be tempted to possibly simplify by looking at a point and shoot. I appreciate that this may not be an option, or a desired one!

     

    Thanks again

     

    Adam

  5. I appreciate that this may not be an option, or a desired one!

     

    Well it could be, but I'd like to think I have progressed slightly further than that. I'll do some more research, don't suppose you could recommend a 40D housing could you?

  6. I'm no expert!

     

    A quick search is suggesting that Ikelite do one-they are often relatively inexpensive, and are very serviceable.

     

    In the UK, they are distributed by Cameras Underwater. Other housings for the 40d are produced by Sea & Sea, Hugyfot, Subal, Seatool and Sealux. (probably amongst others!) These are all made of metal, and hence will tend to be more expensive!

     

    You pays your money! I have a Subal and love it!

     

    Adam

  7. You may look to buy a used 40D housing and a wide angle lens to start with DSLR underwater photography,

    even it's some kind of overkill for a beginner in diving. A cheap P&S may do the trick as well and you can

    use it on land.

     

    When you are a able freediver you may take somenice photos, but only snorkeling the "scenes" are inevitably limitated

    to under/over, and pictures downwards what is not a very good perspective.

     

    Chris

  8. Hi

     

    In order so I don't repeat myself I'll add this in - http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=36393

     

    To summarize, I'm going to Bonaire this summer and I'm looking to rent a DSLR housing with a 100mm Macro Port My current gear, ranges from a D700 with a 70-200 mm and 50mm 1.4, Canon 40D with a 100mm macro f/2.8

     

    I don't want to have a massive housing and I don't want to risk damaging my D700 so I think a 40D housing would be better, I'm a dive novice so I wouldn't be using it for that, but rather snorkeling and general messing around.

     

    I've bought a Underwater Photography book that recommended this site but it based mainly around Nikon but also doesn't talk about brands.

     

    What gear do I need? I'll need a strobe of some sort I presume, I'm not even sure what kind of port I will need.

     

    Thanks

  9. From what I've read about what you're planning to do with the UW camera, I think you would be much better off buying/renting an UW point/shoot system.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.