Am I missing something, or are all flash arms a bit of a pain to adjust underwater. If I wish to adjust the position I have to loosen the clamp then move it where I want, hold it there, and tighten it again, then move onto the next one out of 6, all while holding my camera!? Is there not an easier way? I seem to remember the bendy arms were a lot easier. What am I missing here?
Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic
Alternative to ULCS Strobe arms
Started by Scubysnaps ·
- 6Posts
- 6Replies
Read-only discussion
Alternative to ULCS Strobe arms
-
-
Hi Paul,
I also use the ULCS arms.
The trick I find is to get them tight enough to hold position, but not so tight that you can't move them around. I don't need to loosen the clamp. It is important to try the tightness once you are in the water-in order to get everything to hold at the surface, you need to over tighten it!
Adam
-
Ok thanks Adam, I'll try that. See how I go. I might take my floats off, they seem to get in the way also, when I'm trying to get them close to the lens for macro.
-
Hey Paul
Yep, I have the same experience as Adam. I have the clamps tight for entry and then loosen them off once the dive starts. Not so much that it leaves the arms wobbly - but enough that they are easy to adjust without having to play around with the clamps. And then I re-tighten them at the end of the dive with the arms tucked in to hand the equipment up to the boat.
The ULCS arms are super-adjustable and versatile - more so, I would argue, than the bendy style.
-
yeah thanks Tim, thats what I do too, but obviously tighten them back up too much once adjusted under, hopefully I'll get in later on today and try again at Selsey Pier....
...I moved the floats about so they dont clash too much and added bungee to hold the sync cord to try and avoid tangling too, hope that might help as well
-
yeah thanks Tim, thats what I do too, but obviously tighten them back up too much once adjusted under, hopefully I'll get in later on today and try again at Selsey Pier....
...I moved the floats about so they dont clash too much and added bungee to hold the sync cord to try and avoid tangling too, hope that might help as well
Have fun Paul!
I've found I do have to watch a little which way the floats point! One side of mine is slightly wider than t'other. So if two "thick" sides are facing one another when my double arms are folded close together, the room for movement is slightly reduced. But its easy to sort out even under water.