Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Lens specialist needed!...Canon 40D

Started by gracie_barnes ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Lens specialist needed!...Canon 40D

14 posts
  1. I own a canon 40D. With it I have a 100mm macro lens as well as the stock 28-135mm lens. The quality of the camera and my artistic background make for very nice

    shots for a "student" of photography (I like to view myself as learning rather than a complete newbie) My only complaint is that I usually find myself in situations where the perfect shot requires needing to be closer or have greater zoom power. As a Marine biology major and nature lover, my subjects are usually not

    approachable any closer than I already find myself without actually harassing the wildlife. I believe I will be needing a Telephoto lens to bridge the distance factor...

    Any advice or opinions on favorites or best lens for "life" photography?

    Thanks!

  2. Well if you're already shooting a 100mm macro you get 9-18 inches of working distance for decent macro shots. I don't think I'd want to back up too much more as you'll be getting a lot of water between the critter and the lens, degrading your images :-( You could try a Sigma 150mm macro though - that's waht I use.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Well if you're already shooting a 100mm macro you get 9-18 inches of working distance for decent macro shots. I don't think I'd want to back up too much more as you'll be getting a lot of water between the critter and the lens, degrading your images :-( You could try a Sigma 150mm macro though - that's waht I use.

     

    Cheers

    James

     

     

    Maybe I was unclear. I shoot a Canon G9 underwater with Ikelite housing. I love it. I test drove the housing for my Canon 40D underwater but chose to buy my smaller set up until I was familiar with my "large" camera out of water. I have had both for two years+. (And thanks to everyone who walked me through choosing the G9 and showing me their photos. It was a great choice for a small camera) anyway...For the Canon 40D i use it solely ON the boat or on land. I always find myself needing to be closer. Friday, I was shooting a Artic tern family that had nested on our beach in Pensacola when the "mother" brought in a minnow to feed its young...it was still amazing at fifteen feet with my 28-135mm but I wanted to be closer or more zoom. That's why I said telephoto...isn't that what bird and long distance nature observers use? My macro is great for up close within inches of a subject but 15 + feet I need something strong. Maybe this clarifies....

  4. Maybe I was unclear. I shoot a Canon G9 underwater with Ikelite housing. I love it. I test drove the housing for my Canon 40D underwater but chose to buy my smaller set up until I was familiar with my "large" camera out of water. I have had both for two years+. (And thanks to everyone who walked me through choosing the G9 and showing me their photos. It was a great choice for a small camera) anyway...For the Canon 40D i use it solely ON the boat or on land. I always find myself needing to be closer. Friday, I was shooting a Artic tern family that had nested on our beach in Pensacola when the "mother" brought in a minnow to feed its young...it was still amazing at fifteen feet with my 28-135mm but I wanted to be closer or more zoom. That's why I said telephoto...isn't that what bird and long distance nature observers use? My macro is great for up close within inches of a subject but 15 + feet I need something strong. Maybe this clarifies....

    The bird guys almost all use really big lenses. On the 40D, you might try the 75-300 IS lens. It is only $550 or so and is quite nice for that type of shot. Add a 1.4 telextender and you get 150-600 but you will need lots of light since it is a pretty slow lens already and you will lose 1 stop.

     

    Bill

  5. For topside, the Canon 100-400mm is a great "bang for the buck" lens. The 70-200mm f2.8 is highly regarded as well.

     

    I'm selling a great housing for your 40D if you're interested :)

     

    Phil

  6. Maybe I was unclear. I shoot a Canon G9 underwater with Ikelite housing.

    ...snip....

    Maybe this clarifies....

     

    I also assumed we were talking about UW photography as well. :)

     

    I find that www.Naturescapes.net provides the best resources for above water nature photography. As someone else noted the Canon EF 100-400 lens is both very popular and somewhat hated by the Canon crowd. I have one and I love its flexibility. Many people hate the push-pull design (doesn't bother me), and the lack of balance when extended to 400mm.

  7. The bird guys almost all use really big lenses. On the 40D, you might try the 75-300 IS lens. It is only $550 or so and is quite nice for that type of shot. Add a 1.4 telextender and you get 150-600 but you will need lots of light since it is a pretty slow lens already and you will lose 1 stop.

     

    Bill

     

     

    Thanks Bill! I will have to check it out...

  8. For topside, the Canon 100-400mm is a great "bang for the buck" lens. The 70-200mm f2.8 is highly regarded as well.

     

    I'm selling a great housing for your 40D if you're interested :)

     

    Phil

     

    Really? Tell me a little about it...

  9. PM sent. :)

  10. If cost were no object, you'd want a big prime like the 500mm f/4, but those are going to cost you $5K+.

     

    At the other extreme (tight budget), I agree about the 75-300 IS, which is small and easy to use, but slow (doesn't let in much light).

     

    In between (if you want to start accumulating some really high quality lenses you'll use for many years) are the "L" telephoto zoom lenses. The most obvious is the 100-400 IS L, which I don't like because of the push/pull zoom, but is a good lens at 400mm. Another good option would be the 70-200mm IS f/2.8L II or f/4L, combined with a teleconverter, e.g., 2X to get it out to 400mm. Most people find that the 70-200 (whichever version you can afford) becomes one of their favorite lenses.

    Edited by bmyates
  11. OK now we're talking.

     

    I agree that the 100-400L is the best compromise for image quality vs cost. It's kind of "clunky" but it works very well and has in image stabilizer which is really handy for hand-holding the lens (bird flight photos).

     

    HTH

    James

  12. Thanks Bruce and James for the recommendations. And Bruce your work is beautiful!

  13. If you have steady hands or a tripod, consider the Canon 200mm f/2.8L. It's half the price and half the weight of the 100-400mm, not to mention 2" shorter. You will obviously lose the flexibility that a zoom offers, but the optics are very good. If you find it's still a bit short, you can add a teleconverter to jump up to 280mm or 400mm.

  14. The 400mm F5.6 L lens is also good.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.