Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sigma 24mm f1.8

Started by aboshoff ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Sigma 24mm f1.8

5 posts
  1. Goodday

    Currently looking for a medium wideangle , (I have a tokina 10-17) to use with my 7D

    I am looking at the canon 24 mm 1.4 prime or sigma 24mm f1.8 . The Sigma focus as very close .

     

    Any suggestions ?

  2. Currently looking for a medium wideangle , (I have a tokina 10-17) to use with my 7D

    I am looking at the canon 24 mm 1.4 prime or sigma 24mm f1.8 . The Sigma focus as very close .

    Any suggestions ?

    Have you considered the Sigma 17-70 Zoom lens? It's not as fast as the prime lenses you mentioned, however, it is quite useful underwater.

     

    Ellen

  3. Goodday

    Currently looking for a medium wideangle , (I have a tokina 10-17) to use with my 7D

    I am looking at the canon 24 mm 1.4 prime or sigma 24mm f1.8 . The Sigma focus as very close .

     

    Any suggestions ?

     

    This may be slightly off topic, but I am curious as to your desire for a fast prime here. Is it just a bright viewfinder? If so I can totally understand! But I couldn't imagine shooting at below, say, f/5.6 underwater.

     

    That said, either of the two lenses you mentioned (as well as the Sigma 30/1.4) are good.

     

    Regards,

    Dan

  4. woudln't quite call it a medium wide angle on a crop sensor, but i've just tried the 24mm 1.8 UW on a full frame camera and its not bad as a fish lens. the close focus is great. i've used it behind both a dome and a macro port. the dome gives better quality, but the macro port is more useful as you can shoot small stuff with it. so far i like it. if i get a chance i'll try and post pics. pretty soft at 1.8 which is disappointing for topside, no matter UW. cheers,

     

    chris

  5. The EF24L II is much sharper and contrasty from f5.6 and below, above that the difference is clear but not as huge. Problem with Sigma is the QC which means finding a good copy among the many mediocre copies. For topside and thin DOF, as well as AF speed, the 24L is the lens to get. The Sigma is a distant 2nd but very decent above f5.6. Remember to check for resolution and AF performance too. My old copies of the Sigma lenses (12-24, 20,24) can't handle 21mp and AF is definitely slower.

    Now do you think the difference is worth 1k? :) I switched the the 24L and sold the 20. Still trying to find a good copy of the 12-24.

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.