Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Problems in manual mode, damn G11

Started by MitHere ·

  • 19Posts
  • 19Replies

Read-only discussion

Problems in manual mode, damn G11

19 posts
  1. Hi guys

    Bit of a problem

    This is one of the probs I had in Fiji.

    I am in full manual mode in my G11, aperture set to F8.0 and shutter say... 1/1000th (Or even higher) with my flash on, etc.

    Then when I half-way depress the shutter, along the bottom the shutter speed automatically goes to 1/500th and says -2 in orange.

    I personally thought manual meant you decided camera controls and not the camera - does anyone know what's going on?

    Cheers guys

    Adam

  2. Hi guys

    Bit of a problem

    This is one of the probs I had in Fiji.

    I am in full manual mode in my G11, aperture set to F8.0 and shutter say... 1/1000th (Or even higher) with my flash on, etc.

    Then when I half-way depress the shutter, along the bottom the shutter speed automatically goes to 1/500th and says -2 in orange.

    I personally thought manual meant you decided camera controls and not the camera - does anyone know what's going on?

    Cheers guys

    Adam

     

    The G11 is probably like the G9 in which the highest flash sync speed is 1/500th therefore if you set the shauuter speed to higher than 1/500th in manual or shutter priority (Tv) the camera will slap you on the wrist and automatically reset to 1/500th. Frankly, I'm not sure why you would wish to set such a high shutter speed u/w. If you were shooting fast moving subjects like seals or dolphin 1/250th is more than enough though for general reef scenes and macro subjects 1/30th - 1/125th is more normal depending on the colour you wish to make the water column.

     

    Hope this helps, Tim

  3. Cheers guys, at least there is an answer for it

    I was trying to go past 1/500th to try for black backgrounds :) ANd sharp photos

  4. I don't think you will need to go this far. SLRs are generally limited to 1/200 - 1/250th for flash synch yet we see lots of black backgrounds on here.

     

    Are you using an external strobe.

  5. Hi!

     

    In M mode turn on ND filter! Then set Tv 1/500 sec and f 8, ISO 80. Should get black backround in most cases :)

     

    Cheers

    Karel

  6. Don't want to hijack this thread but think you guys may be able to help me.

     

    I'm using the G10 with Inon S2000 and want to know if there's some way I can keep my strobe set to STTL while shooting in M mode.

     

    Main reason is tend to shoot only macro/supermacro, want to shoot F8 and 1/250 or 1/500 and don't want play with strobe output... it's a lot easier for me to go STTL with my fo cable.

     

    Acutally, the main reason is that the lettering on the strobe is too small for me to read underwater even with my contacts on.

     

    Shooting in Av or Tv will only allow me to control speed or F stop depending on which mode I am using as they are preset in those modes respectively. :)

     

    Leaving for Dominica on Sunday and hope to have some way to synch camera and strobe by the time I hit the water on Tuesday!

     

    thanks

  7. Unfortunately in their wisdom, Canon did not see fit to implement ttl on the internal flash in manual mode on either the G or S series cameras. If you want to shoot manual, you're stuck with manual flash too. Use the histogram and you will soon get used to manual flash. The numbers aren't important if you remember minimum at 9 O'Clock, clockwise to full at 7 O'Clock.

     

    I agree, the S2000 controls are a bit twee and disappointingly hidden behind the battery cover but that's probably the price of it being compact for travelling.

  8. Unfortunately in their wisdom, Canon did not see fit to implement ttl on the internal flash in manual mode on either the G or S series cameras. If you want to shoot manual, you're stuck with manual flash too. Use the histogram and you will soon get used to manual flash. The numbers aren't important if you remember minimum at 9 O'Clock, clockwise to full at 7 O'Clock.

     

    I agree, the S2000 controls are a bit twee and disappointingly hidden behind the battery cover but that's probably the price of it being compact for travelling.

     

    Had a feeling that was the only solution.... other than shooting Tv at the speed I want and their preset f stop for macro and then going to M for supermacro.

     

    Any suggestions on where I should start the output for macro work? I do like to keep the ISO at 80.

     

    Looks like I will have to go back and change my C1 and C2 settings.

    Edited by seafan
  9. The sTTL will not work in manual but this is where the EA mode of the D2000 and Z240 come in handy, one of the places anyways. The External Auto mode allows automatic strobe exposure with camera manual exposure control.

  10. The sTTL will not work in manual but this is where the EA mode of the D2000 and Z240 come in handy, one of the places anyways. The External Auto mode allows automatic strobe exposure with camera manual exposure control.

     

     

    Too bad I have the S2000. :-)

  11. Had a feeling that was the only solution.... other than shooting Tv at the speed I want and their preset f stop for macro and then going to M for supermacro.

     

    Any suggestions on where I should start the output for macro work? I do like to keep the ISO at 80.

     

    Looks like I will have to go back and change my C1 and C2 settings.

    I'm definitely not the most experienced guy but I'd be going withhhh about 10 or 11am on the output dial if you're at 1/500th and F8 :notworthy:

  12. I'm definitely not the most experienced guy but I'd be going withhhh about 10 or 11am on the output dial if you're at 1/500th and F8 :notworthy:

     

     

    Hmmm..... I thought the top 1/3 of the dial was just for working in sttl and the bottom 2/3 were used when shooting manual. Damnnn.... wish I could find the manual. Sure would be nice if I found someone there that had the same strobe. :-)

     

    Did find this picture though:

    http://www.inon.co.jp/cgis/news/img/S-2000_3D.jpg

     

    Good thing I did more research though because I didn't know I needed to put the magnet in the strobe. Had to go dig it out of the box it came in which, of course, meant trying to remember where I put the box it came in. :-))

     

    Nothing like waiting until the last minute...... *LOL*

    Edited by seafan
  13. I'm just feeling my way with the S-2000, having just got one delivered last Wednesday for my wife's camera and have yet to get it wet.

     

    My reading of the (rather confusing) instruction manual at the moment is that it is not necessary to have the magnet installed for manual operation unless the camera flash is in a pre-flash type TTL mode. I believe without the magnet you can

     

    a) use the strobe set to SLLT with the camera on Av, Tv etc (where you will get a pre-flash from the camera flash)

    or

    b) use the strobe set to M with the camera in Manual (where the camera flash produces a single flash without pre-flash)

     

    You can't use the strobe in Manual with the camera in Av, Tv etc without the magnet installed because the preflash will cause the strobe to fire fully.

     

    This is as I understand it at the moment - BUT - I'm prepared to be wrong about this, I've only skim read the manual..

    Edited by Balrog
  14. I'm just feeling my way with the S-2000, having just got one delivered last Wednesday for my wife's camera and have yet to get it wet.

     

    My reading of the (rather confusing) instruction manual at the moment is that it is not necessary to have the magnet installed for manual operation unless the camera flash is in a pre-flash type TTL mode. I believe without the magnet you can

     

    a) use the strobe set to SLLT with the camera on Av, Tv etc (where you will get a pre-flash from the camera flash)

    or

    b) use the strobe set to M with the camera in Manual (where the camera flash produces a single flash without pre-flash)

     

    You can't use the strobe in Manual with the camera in Av, Tv etc without the magnet installed because the preflash will cause the strobe to fire fully.

     

    This is as I understand it at the moment - BUT - I'm prepared to be wrong about this, I've only skim read the manual..

     

    From what I gather you can use manual strobe with Av/Tv but I could be wrong. You do have to have the magnet installed to use when the camera doesn't produce a pre-flash like with the G series in manual mode.

    Fuck I love the S2000 though, I'm so damn glad they made it.

  15. From what I gather you can use manual strobe with Av/Tv but I could be wrong. You do have to have the magnet installed to use when the camera doesn't produce a pre-flash like with the G series in manual mode.

    Fuck I love the S2000 though, I'm so damn glad they made it.

     

    I called Reef Photo and asked about the magnet and was told to just leave the magnet in all the time. Some of the Canons (like the G series and S90) don't function TTL in manual mode and therefore you need to have the strobe set to manual as well. By leaving the magnet in, the FO cable will trigger the strobe to fire when the camera's flash fires off... best to keep the camera's flash set at minimum.

     

    When shooting auto, P. Tv or Av, having the magnet in will not interfere and you can have the strobe set to STTL if you want it to synch with the preflash. Again, if you want to control the strobe manually with those camera modes all you need to do is set it to manual or use the STTL overrides. :-))

     

    Will see how all this works out next week.... of course, that is if I can also figure out lightroom 2 (my first time trying it out will be this trip).

     

    Unfortunately I was not able to install CS3 on my new netbook as I lost the serial number for it. Even tried to install am old photoshop from many years ago as I had installed it on several notebooks already... for some reason this time it asked for a serial number as well. :-(

     

    Leaving for Dominica Sunday and will be taking my first giant stride Tuesday!!

    Edited by seafan
  16. Google is your friend!

    INON Exposure modes:  http://reefphoto.com/tt/index.php?action=kb&article=7

    INON Exposure modes: http://www.uvfoto.com/inon/nyheter/STTL_En.pdf

    INON D-2000 Manual: http://den.banbook.org/index.php?option=co...000+advance.pdf

    INON S-TTL How it works: http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/inon-d-2000...al-explanation/

    I know that you have the S-2000, but i think that the D-2000 will help as well as they are +/- the same, EXCEPT that the S-2000 has no EA mode  :notworthy:

     

    Chris

    Edited by ChrigelKarrer
  17.  

    Edited by ChrigelKarrer
  18. Google is your friend!

    INON Exposure modes:  http://reefphoto.com/tt/index.php?action=kb&article=7

    INON Exposure modes: http://www.uvfoto.com/inon/nyheter/STTL_En.pdf

    INON D-2000 Manual: http://den.banbook.org/index.php?option=co...000+advance.pdf

    INON S-TTL How it works: http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/inon-d-2000...al-explanation/

    I know that you have the S-2000, but i think that the D-2000 will help as well as they are +/- the same, EXCEPT that the S-2000 has no EA mode  :notworthy:

     

    Chris

     

     

    Thanks for the link to the manual translated by Yuzo. I had totally forgotten to send him an email about the s2000. Will shoot one off to him today and see if he has translated one for it as well.

     

    I"ve had great results using sttl with the strobe but now must work on using it manually so I'm sure he can give me some pointers for it!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.