Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

diopter differences

Started by gstoyle ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

diopter differences

9 posts
  1. Does anyone know if there is a significant loss in quality when using cheaper diopters (Hoya etc) rather than more expensive brands (Canon 500d, Nikon 5T etc).

     

    I'd like to get the latter, but finding them hard to find, and also not sure the difference in cost is justified.

     

    Thanks.

    Edited by gstoyle
  2. What type of application are you interested in - behind a dome or for macro?

  3. What type of application are you interested in - behind a dome or for macro?

     

    mostly macro, with the 105mm Nikon VR.

  4. What type of application are you interested in - behind a dome or for macro?

     

    is that you Paul?

  5. Yes, there is a loss of quality when you're using it on a long focal length lens for macro. The achromat diopters are MUCH better.

     

    Cheers

    James

  6. It may well be me George!

     

    Short answer is that cheaper diopters are better for domes and as James says more expensive are better for macro - Marumi make some very good achromat diopters at 'reasonable' prices which look very similar(!) to the Canons which more expensive. Nikon's have featured on wetpixel many times in posts - not so easy to get hold of by all accounts.

  7. Thanks Paul (and James) - just looked at the Marumi's and they look pretty good quality - found some good prices too so may well go for them.

     

    Hopefully see you some time soon Paul - I'll drop in next time I'm over.

  8. Paul, can you expand on "cheaper dioptres are better for domes"? I had plano-convex dioptres made hoping to flatten the curvature of field but always got better results with B&W dioptres. Should I try something else? What are you using with domes?

  9. Does anyone know if there is a significant loss in quality when using cheaper diopters (Hoya etc) rather than more expensive brands (Canon 500d, Nikon 5T etc).

     

    I'd like to get the latter, but finding them hard to find, and also not sure the difference in cost is justified.

     

    There is a Nikon 5T diopter (62mm) for sale at a photo shop in my area for $45. If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you information on how to contact the shop.

     

    Ellen

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.