Hey all.
There's a recurrent theme in this subforum for things that end up using duct tape, heatshrink tubing, pieces of old garden hose, etc. Possible subjects include padding out a handle for our DSLR rigs, jacketing 'pool noodle' or other types of foam floats to make them hardier, wrapping homemade ring-flash or studio snoot assemblies made from whatever we can find at the local hardware store, emergency watchband or wrist-console loops...etc.
There's a relatively new offering that might prove as useful (if not more so, as it seems a tad more permanent) as the mighty 'duck' tape, and that's this new self-fusing silicone tape. No, I'm not a dealer, just remembered seeing it myself at DEMA last year and it finally clicked I could use it when I wanted to wrap a strobe arm segment and extend it 'between' the vertical grips on my Ikelite tray to make a high-friction, rubberized carry 'handle'. So I tried it and it works a charm.
Below is a link to one such offering - I'm sure many other companies make it as well now (I think I saw it in Trident's booth at DEMA last year, so they probably are rebranding from one of the manufacturers). Think of the stuff as really thick electrical tape with a tapered profile out to the side edges, or as being somewhat similar to handlebar tape and you get the idea what it looks/feels like, but it self-fuses inside of like 2 minutes after being wrapped on.
I'm at work right now but I'll upload an image of the rig with the new cross-member soon to show how I used it. Might be nice for padding out (and/or blackening) strobes and the like too. Don't think I'd trust it as an emergency repair on a regulator hose though. ![]()
http://www.mocap.com/silicone-tape.html
Hope this helps someone else on their DIY project du jour.