Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon 16-80 VR

Started by cboater ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon 16-80 VR

4 posts
  1. I'd like to take my Nikon D80 underwater. (I have been using a Canon G9 Ikelite Outfit with a single Sea & Sea YS110 strobe that I shoot in manual.) I own a Nikon 16-85 VR lens and a Nikon 70-300 VR. Can/should I use the 16-85 underwater? If so, what adaptations will I need (diopter, dome, etc). What are the pitfalls for using the 16-85? Are there any advantages? (I like shooting fish portraits. I have not used the G9's macro feature much at all.)

     

    Also, I assume that the Sea&Sea YS 110 will be a fine strobe for the D80. Is this true? Or should I change to something else?

     

    By the way, I have posted a WTB D80 UW housing in Classifieds.

     

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions/info.

     

    Laura

  2. Hi I use the nikon 16-85 lens in an aquatica housing with a dome port. Works very good. The 16mm side is a mild wide angle. For true wide angle you need a 10mm lens. The 85mm side you will get 1:4 macro with no diopter but to get 1:1 i add a +4 diopter. Works good. Very sharp. The lens is sharp and with vr you get sharp shots. For most divesites the lens fits almost all subjects. For wrecks in truk you would need a 10mm lens. I like it alot.

  3. Hi,

    i also have that lense, in a Subal housing, D300, and use a +4 diopter, but, to try to do "macro" @ 85mm do not focus as close as i need

     

    that pics are done whit taht lense

    Jardim%20das%20Gorgónias%2010.06.10%20079%20copy.jpgJardim%20das%20Gorgónias%2010.06.10%20073%20copy.jpgJardim%20das%20Gorgónias%2010.06.10%20069%20copy.jpg

  4. Hi,

    i also have that lense, in a Subal housing, D300, and use a +4 diopter, but, to try to do "macro" @ 85mm do not focus as close as i need

     

    that pics are done whit taht lense

    Jardim%20das%20Gorgónias%2010.06.10%20079%20copy.jpgJardim%20das%20Gorgónias%2010.06.10%20073%20copy.jpgJardim%20das%20Gorgónias%2010.06.10%20069%20copy.jpg

     

    Thanks so much for the information. Not many people are familiar with the 16-85 lens. Did I notice correctly that you have Patima housing? Is that for your D80? What do you think about the Patima?

     

    Laura

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.