Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Hoya Pro or B&W Schneider +2 Diopter??

Started by iainwilliams ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Hoya Pro or B&W Schneider +2 Diopter??

12 posts
  1. Hi

     

    Recently I updated my underwater housing and wide angle dome. To use my Canon 16-35 underwater requires a +2 diopter which is quite normal when shooting wide angle underwater.

     

    Does anyone know whether the hoya brand is just as good, or worse in quality than the B&W Schneider brand +2 diopter?

     

    Thanks, Iain

  2. Hi

     

    Recently I updated my underwater housing and wide angle dome. To use my Canon 16-35 underwater requires a +2 diopter which is quite normal when shooting wide angle underwater.

     

    Does anyone know whether the hoya brand is just as good, or worse in quality than the B&W Schneider brand +2 diopter?

     

    Thanks, Iain

    Not sure how relevant this is and I don't want to malign any manufacturer but in the past I bought a $200 B&W polarizing filter. The build quality was very evident (high quality build). I then did some careful testing, shooting the same scene with the B&W and a $40 Vivitar polarizer. Under high magnification, I could not see any improvement in the B&W. They were virtually identical images. Maybe I paid for the build. I still have it although it has been dinged around over the years. It hurt to pay $200 at the time and I doubt I would today.

  3. Not sure how relevant this is and I don't want to malign any manufacturer but in the past I bought a $200 B&W polarizing filter. The build quality was very evident (high quality build). I then did some careful testing, shooting the same scene with the B&W and a $40 Vivitar polarizer. Under high magnification, I could not see any improvement in the B&W. They were virtually identical images. Maybe I paid for the build. I still have it although it has been dinged around over the years. It hurt to pay $200 at the time and I doubt I would today.

     

    Hi Dave

     

    My thoughts exactly. The build of B&W is outstanding as I'm sure the optics is too. But, how much better are the actual optics to a less expensive Hoya - who knows. The diopter will be on the lens only for U/W use so the build probably isn't that important. Thanks again, Iain

  4. Is this 16-35II? If so, I'm not confident that a diopter will actually improve corner sharpness based on limited in water testing we've done. I'd buy it somewhere with a good return policy.

  5. Is this 16-35II? If so, I'm not confident that a diopter will actually improve corner sharpness based on limited in water testing we've done. I'd buy it somewhere with a good return policy.

     

    Hi Ryan

     

    Yes it is the Canon 16-35 f2.8 TYPE 2 lens.

     

    What would you suggest? Thanks, Iain

  6. I think that Canon close-up lenses are duplets, and optically superior to single-element diopters. That said, B+W are much better made than Hoya: I've broken Hoya filters, but never a B+W one. B+W are typically mounted in a brass ring, Hoya in aluminium. B+W specialise in optical glass, and all of their filters are like the expensive Hoya variants. BMW v Toyota?

     

    Tim

     

    :)

  7. I think that Canon close-up lenses are duplets, and optically superior to single-element diopters. That said, B+W are much better made than Hoya: I've broken Hoya filters, but never a B+W one. B+W are typically mounted in a brass ring, Hoya in aluminium. B+W specialise in optical glass, and all of their filters are like the expensive Hoya variants. BMW v Toyota?

     

    Tim

     

    :)

    Lens and/or sensor may be a limiting factor when trying to compare quality filters. The B+W +4 diopter on the Nikkor 12-24 works nicely and it is BRASS as Tim said. For topside with the same lens, I use the Hoya S-MHC thin polarizer. I consider both to be good for the specific application.

    Bob

  8. I second what Ryan said. I use this lens - without - a closeup lens and am reasonably happy with it. Also see the article/comparison written by Stephen Frink. He compares the 17-40L, 16-35I and II in depth testing.

     

    Cheers

    James

  9. I second what Ryan said. I use this lens - without - a closeup lens and am reasonably happy with it. Also see the article/comparison written by Stephen Frink. He compares the 17-40L, 16-35I and II in depth testing.

     

    Cheers

    James

     

    Any chance of a link to that please James as I am concidering purchasing the 16-35 type2 but already have the 17-40L. My money might be best spent on a 15mm.

     

    Cheers

     

    Stew

  10. That's it, thanks Steve.

     

    Cheers

    James

  11. Thanks for your replies. I read the article in question, however, SF does not go into any analysis of whether edge sharpness is improved when using a +2 diopter with the Canon 16-35 type 2 lens,

     

    From what some of you are saying, your results indicate that a diopter is not really required when using this lens underwater with a Subal 8 inch dome port.

     

    Thanks, Iain

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.