I'm headed to Fiji later this summer and need some help deciding which lens to use. I'm used to shooting big stuff, so my fisheye and 17-40mm will make the trip for sure. However, I understand that fiji has a lot to offer in the macro department, which i don't have a lot of experience shooting. I have a 100mm macro, but is this too macro? Would something in the 60 mm range be a better option? Is there a good telephoto for this? 24-105? I want some good shots of Nemo-type fish and blue ribbon eels, but don't care too much about nudis... at least I think I don't. Please advise...
- 7Posts
- 7Replies
Read-only discussion
Lens for Fiji
-
-
Hi Matt
I just got back from Beqa lagoon , I only shot WA (10.5mm & 10-17mm) the macro stuff , well IMHO, yes take the 60mm as well as the 100mm , there are a hell a lot of nemo's sitting next to large soft coral outcrops - they make a great mix - HTH
-
On the 5D the 100mm will be a great lens for Fiji. There are also some big tangs and other cool fish, so I'd take the 50mm if you have room.
Cheers
James
-
I just got back from Beqa Lagoonm, Fiji 2 weeks ago. Definitely bring the 60mm for macro as well as the wide angle lens if you are going to do the shark dive.
-
I am a Af-105-Vr shooter. The water is reasonably clear so the working distance isn't a problem for macro. However, there are some worthy fish portrate subjects wher a 60 would e nice.
-
I think that u/w panoramic vistas are the best thing Fiji can offers in terms of u/w photography ,so i will go with the widest lens i have ( i use Nikon , so not sure if your camera have cropped sensor or not ) . Also is really good place for macro so a macro lens is a must . 60mm or 100mm , choose the one that fits better your preferences and/or camera .
Happy shooting and have a nice trip , Fiji is a wonderful place.
JA
-
I've been to Taveuni Island, Fiji twice in the last 6 years. For the land excursions you might want a telephoto if you go hiking or bird watching, but not for the UW.
Looking at your list of gear:
"Canon 5D mk2, Ikelite housing, Ikelite 125 strobes, 17-40 mm 4.0 L, 100 mm, 24-150 mm L, 100-400 mm 5.6 L"
It looks like you already have the 100 mm macro. Assuming you have the port for it, you're ready to go with that one. The 100 mm would be the best lens for the blue ribbon eel. The eels don't let you get that close. Using an Olympus C-8080 in macro at around 92 mm EFL I had good success shooting a blue ribon eel. I wouldn't go any smaller.
I saw a lot of soft coral and macro subjects in Fiji. I don't recall a lot of big subjects for wide angle, except the sharks. The turtle is a big part of their culture. You see it in all of their art work. But the only place I saw any turtles was on the menu on the main island. Apparently they have hunted them all into near extinction in Fiji. Wide angle is always fun and some of the walls and big reefs might produce some good images.