Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Specialise or diversify?

Started by prharris ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Specialise or diversify?

7 posts
  1. Where I am now:

    D70, Ike housing, 105mm port, 18-70 standard lens and 6" dome port.

     

    I borrowed a 105mm macro lens for holiday and hence bought the port and I've also used the same borrowed Nikon micro lens in the UK with some success so think that I'll get my own.

    I'm looking at strobes -probably Ike and will probably go for a single DS51 or DS125 (160?) to start then add another at some point in the future.

     

    Perceived wisdom is that 60mm macro is more appropriate for the vis in this country, so...

     

    Do I go for a 60mm and port or a 10-20ish WA and port?

    Obviously it's difficult to answer without knowing what type of UW photography I like, which is probably why I'm having trouble, because I'd like to be able to take all sorts - well.

     

    So there we go, not too much to ask :notworthy:

  2. haha you just answered your own quetion in a sort, you have a few options. The more critical decision is what type of shooting you want to do. if all you want to shoot is macro and to blazes with anything else then your options are fairly cut and dried, same concept for the reverse of that. also, how intense are you planning on being in shooting? if your not too gung-ho and just wanna snap some photos while on a dive than pick an option you like most and stick with that.

     

    in other words, either, or, or both! my personal opnion is to go with both setups if you can afford it, because I can almost guarantee that if you are only setup for one or the other you will come across a scene that you are just dying to shoot but you cant successfully....just a thought.

  3. The biggest steps forward in my shots came from lighting, first one strobe, then more improvement with two. I suggest you get this sorted first.

    If you want to go WA, then the DS51 will probably leave you wanting more light.

  4. Hi!

     

    I would suggest the answer depends on a number of factors: what gear you have, where you do most of your diving - and what you like doing most - WA or macro.

     

    I've always thought that people do best what they most enjoy. But then if the dive locations you use most frequently point you to macro or WA then that may well be a decisive factor. No point beating yourself up trying to do WA if you dive murky water. Or if you have soaring (plummeting?) underwater panoramas why try and find muck?

     

    And then its the gear. You've got macro already. Yeah, I'd agree 60mm is easier to start but then if you already have access to a 105mm and you like it, why not?

     

    I do think it's a good idea to try and concentrate on one style to start with. It is one less variable. Then, as Balrog says, this allows you to get used to different ways of lighting.

     

    And then the "final" consideration. Cash. :)

  5. The 60mm is easier to master, but the 105mm is a great lens. British subjects often tolerate the 105mm lens more easily, but the 60mm is better in poor visibility. Having said that, the secret to macro photography (take this with a pinch of salt: I began with an enthusiasm for wide-angle, scenic photography) is good lighting. This as an area where having two strobes available on good arms will make a huge difference.

     

    I suspect that good images come faster when you start with macro photography, but it's more difficult to impress non-divers...

     

    Tim

     

    :)

  6. Thanks for the replies guys, I think that I'm leaning to macro, especially as I'm UK-based.

    I have a 60mm on the way and am going to have a serious look at a 105 this weekend as I can't keep on borrowing my friend's.

    However, we have a Red Sea trip booked later in the year so I guess there will be WA opportunities there.

    I have a macro strobe question, that may be better off in the Macro section, but I think that it's a beginner's question really.

     

    Is there such a thing as too much power?

    If I use TTL or manual and crank the strobe down, will a more powerful strobe work for macro. It's clear, I think that a DS51 won't cut it for WA should I ever go that way, so should I hedge my bets and go for a 160 as a 1st strobe and maybe follow up with a 51 later.

     

    To put it in perspective, I don't have unlimited money, but do have a fixed amount to spend at the moment due to the sale of a RB.

     

    Cheers

    P

    Edited by prharris
  7. As you have a Ikelite housing with a built-in i-ttl conversion circuit best would be a Ikelite DS-160/161 as you can't use optical slave strobes.

    The DS-125 is not produced anymore and replaced with the DS-160/161 but you may find a good offer for one or two used ones, but be advised that the Ikelite battery packs are quite expensive to replace if the second hand strobe has them exhausted.

    You should have no problems with too much power for macro photography as you can control exposure on the back of the housing, on the strobe and also on the camera itself.

    The DS-51 will have enough power for near (60mm) macro but it will get short on power going further away from the motive. Usually you will have too less power than too much, especially under water.

     

    Chris

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.