Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Any reason why 12-24 nikkor won't work on S2?

Started by StephenFrink ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Any reason why 12-24 nikkor won't work on S2?

13 posts
  1. I got the following inquiry from a client today:

     

     

    Steve,

    I contacted Nikon about the 12-24mm lens since they publish that the lens is designed to be used with the Nikon D Series digital SLR camera - Nikon told me that they did not know if the lens worked with the Fuji camera body.

    I then contacted Fuji and the Tech support guy told me that they also did not know if the lens worked with the Fuji S2. He said that he had heard that there was a problem but he did not know if it worked or not. Then he asked me to try it and if it did not work that I would get a message on the S2 that it was not compatable. He asked that I let him know so he could put it in the data bank.

    My question is - do you know if the 12-24mm lens works with the Fuji body?

     

    Never thought about a 12-24 Nikkor zoom not working on an S2. Any first-hand experience out there?

     

    Steve

  2. Slow day at work today - you caught me on one of my "hyperposting" days Stephen.

     

    Yes, the lens works JUST FINE on the S2pro. What your client got was marketting hogwash.

     

    Here is a shot taken at 12mm:

     

    DSCF2022_001.jpg

     

    For a while, Fuji was saying that their camera only supported Smartmedia and Microdrive - we all laughed at that one. OF course, Fuji has a deal w/ those guys...

     

    Cheers

    James

     

    PS, I saw the Seacam S2 housing at the Houston Underwater Photo Society mtg last night - nice! I wish I could go on the shark diving trip w/ you guys...

  3. Thanks for the quick reply James. I'll pass it on. I could see where the Nikon guy might say it wouldn't work on the S2, market share is market share; but could not see the advantage of the Fuji guy not recommending the 12-24 for the S2.

     

    Wish you were joining us for the Shark Shootout at Stuart Cove's next week as well. It would be fun to peek at each other's laptops.

     

    Steve

  4. Bummer about the full sized sensor :-(

  5. Makes me feel better about buying the 10.5mm on Monday!

     

    That also states in the instructions that it only works on D1, D2 and D100 series camera, but i am sure it would be fabulous on the S2!

  6. Funny they can't spell the guy's name correctly in their retraction. All the retraction means is that they don't want future plans to impact current sales.

  7. Perhaps the new Sigma 12-24 full frame lens may have something to do with their change of tune. Why would anyone buy the cropped Nikkor 12-24 if there's a potential upgrade to a full frame camera in the near future.

  8. That's certainly a factor Herb.

     

    Although, I think Nikon (like Canon) will keep making APS sized sensor cameras for a while yet - as it's the only way they can afford to make an "affordable" DSLR. As long as the APS sized sensor cameras are being made, Nikon and Sigma will have a market for their 12-24's. It sounds like Sigma will have a market for their lens w/ FF camera owners too though...

     

    I still think that Nikon will make a FF camera. Like Craig said, they have to be careful what they say in public so that they can keep selling what they are making and what they have made...

     

    Cheers

    James

  9. Perhaps the new Sigma 12-24 full frame lens may have something to do with their change of tune. Why would anyone buy the cropped Nikkor 12-24 if there's a potential upgrade to a full frame camera in the near future.

    Bigger, heavier, slower, no front thread? You wouldn't buy a lens that won't work on your camera, though.

  10. Bigger, heavier, slower, no front thread?  You wouldn't buy a lens that won't work on your camera, though.

    It's only slightly bigger and heavier and slower. It also focus slightly closer and cost significantly less. But the point is if Nikon came out and said that a full frame camera is just around the corner which one would you pick.

  11. I'm trying to cover all the bases. I bought the Nikon 12-24mm, but I'm keeping my Nikon 14mm for the future when I upgrade to a full-frame Nikon DSLR.

     

    Actually, cybergoldfish is keeping my 14mm for me. Hopefully, he'll let me visit with it if I'm ever in England.

     

    :rolleyes:

  12. If I ended up with a full frame Nikon, I doubt I'd have any interest in using a 12-24 with it esp. underwater. I also don't know how good its image quality will be at the edges with a full frame. The 12-24DX, on the other hand, is a known quantity and might offer significantly better performance in addition to being smaller, lighter, and faster (with a front thread). Not saying it does but it might.

     

    The Sigma 12-24 won't fit in my Nexus setup at any rate. 3.4" diameter is too big.

     

    I don't have any problem buying a lens for a specific body if I intend to use it. I don't care if the lens is not applicable to future bodies so long as the future ones have desirable lens options to compensate. I doubt Nikon is going to switch to full frame soon anyway.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.