Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Noob Starting U/W video

Started by urahozer ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Noob Starting U/W video

3 posts
  1. Soo, i originally was looking to get a Canon HF s10 but because im a student and cameras are expensive... that didnt work. Instead i figured id get a Flip UltraHD, so i did, and outa the water i like it because its super simple, dec vid quality for a pretty reasonable price. I havent bought it yet but the ikelite housing for it is lookin sweet.

     

    What im wondering though was how you guys organize all your videos... Im in school for marine biology, so i would really like to be able to tag them with the species within the videos and perhaps comments on the video itself and then somehow perhaps search that catalogue...

     

    I feel like their should be a program to do this, but sometimes not. Prefferably a free or open source program because that would save me some money too.

     

    I guess any other tips for post-production would be good too, but i read alot of other posts on it, just seemed like i couldnt find a good one on organization. I also plan to use Adobe CS4... i just kinda got use to it

     

    The other thing that i would like to do is put videos on the internet... prefferably on my own website... as i already have a hosting service and about 50gb i can spare on their servers, its just a matter of making the site, wondering if anyone here has any tips on making a site more or less for sharing video, i dont intend on selling any of it really, its just a flip camera...

    Edited by urahozer
  2. Hi urahozer,

     

    You've asked some interesting questions with no clear answers :notworthy:

     

    1. Video files do not seem to support metadata like photos do, at least not the .mts file I shoot. I create Folders and Sub Folders and store my clips in those. I name the individual clips (sometimes) with my own short hand. If I've sot a good bit of Hairy Frogfish I would put it in a Folder called 'Fish', sub folder 'Frogfish', sub folder 'Hairy' then name the clip something like good_CL_side_eye (Good shot, Closeup, from the side, includes eye).

     

    Adobe Premier does a pretty good job of searching in the asset panel. If you import lots of clips then search within the asset panel it will use the folder and sub folder names in the search result, so even if the clip itself doesn't say 'Hairy Frogfish', Premier will see the folder's name and will include that clip. I hope this makes sense.

     

    I suspect that everyone here has their own system for cataloguing their footage.

     

    2. I used to host all my video on my web server. I found recently that using a service like Vimeo saves you the headache of worrying about storage, bandwidth etc. Using their 'Plus' service gives you good flexibility in the player (you can take the Vimeo branding off it, change the controls etc), and you can choose not to let anyone else embed your video and many other options (I do not work for them :) ). It's very easy to embed the videos on your own website.

     

    Hope some of this helps.

  3. Thanks that seems like a pretty good system, ill just have to make up some of my own tags like you have with good_cl_side_eye kinda thing, thanks very much. Also its nice that premiere will search that.

     

    As for Vimeo i do have an acount, dont really have anything of importance on it yet, but maybe one day i will get plus...

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.