Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Latest film on Children's Pool

Started by Steve Douglas ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Latest film on Children's Pool

8 posts
  1. Hey Folks,

    Would appreciate any feedback you can give. This film is a bit different in that it is a more journalistic piece. Seeing it, I think I would already take out the very last clip but would still love to hear what you all have to say.

    http://vimeo.com/13159268

    Thanks in advance,

    Steve

  2. A very thought provoking piece Steve. Thanks for sharing it with us. If you're going to attempt to maintain a balanced view I agree with you that "Save the seals" should go or maybe balanced by a sequence of a mom and her child trying to navigate past the seals and commenting "The kids need a safe place" or something similar. I guess it all comes down to what are you trying to accomplish. If it's a news piece to show both sides you'd cut it one way. If you want to send the message that you're on the side of the seals (or the kids) you'd cut it to send that message.

     

    It's a fascinating microcosm of the much bigger environmental dilemma we as a society are dealing with all over the world. Do we "manage" our beach to best benefit our neighborhood or do we take a larger view and support another species who badly needs "our" beach? I'll be interested to follow the story and see how it gets worked out. Hopefully there is some middle ground that some opportunity to both sides.

     

    By the way the shot of the sea lion with the GW is killer.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  3. Amazing work on the seals, I watched it a couple of times and though the time says 5 minutes plus, it seemed to be 30 seconds. Just great in terms of all the information and getting out there, the footage and edits.

     

    The one thing to consider the audio at around 4:30 when "Is anybody really ..." I would get rid of the effects on the narration. Fade it into one voice, then two, then three, (with appropriate video fade ins) to bring it up to the dissonance....

  4. Hey Drew, that's a great idea on the audio. Wish I had thought of that. Headed back now to, at least, cut that last clip and reload.

    Steve

  5. By the way the shot of the sea lion with the GW is killer.

     

    Agreed!! I've watched that 20 times or more already! :notworthy:

     

    Nice vid Steve, it was a fresh enjoyable approach and like Drew said it flew by when watching. Always leave them wanting more! Now back to that seal & GWS shot for another 20 runs :)

     

    Cheers, Simon

  6. Great job Steve!

    I'm not a video expert, but this clip is simply GREAT. Like Drew allready mentioned - seems like it's 30 sec. and not 5 min :notworthy:

     

    Thanks for sharing

    Karel

  7. Thanks Karel, been busy doing a new computer install so I haven't been on in a few days. Appreciate the good words.

    Steve

  8. When enough people say the same thing, one had better listen. Distracting is distracting though I did not find it so. Thus, I took out most of the background colorized water and left it black between the multi-screens. Also, decided to take my own advice and watermark the thing. Now on to something new.

    Steve

    Edited by steve
Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.