Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Red Anenome, species?

Started by jnsgonda ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Red Anenome, species?

5 posts
  1. Hello,

     

    Sorry to say my knowledge of anenome species is very lacking. I'm in the market for a pacific coast invert. book.

     

    Thanks,

     

    John

  2. John - Nice photo! Based on what I've learned already in this forum, I think this may be a corallimorph, a close relative of anemones, but older and more primitive.

  3. Hi

     

    I use Gotshall's Guide to Marine Invertebrates (Sea Challengers, 1994) for the common US-Canada West Coast inverts, although there are a couple of other books on the market

     

    I think your anemone is a species of Urticina, possibly U. lofotensis (if the column is red with white spots) or U. piscivora (if the column is simply crimson red)

     

    I think it is a true anemone, not a coralliomorpharian

     

    Art

  4. Pretty sure that is a anemone. They can have some great coloUr up in BC. I have the Whales and Whelks book and it helps as a starter. It has a little of everything in it.

     

    I believe I have a couple of anemone pics. I guess I only have one uploaded and it is a mouth shot.

     

    23015705.jpg

  5. Thanks for the info.

     

    It must be U. lofotensis as the stalk is red with white spots.

     

    Thanks again,

     

    John

     

    Cool forum topic!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.