Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Raw Converters -- quick test (warning:big images!)

Started by wetpixel ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Raw Converters -- quick test (warning:big images!)

9 posts
  1. Source file is a crappy wire coral goby with a dark grey background, taken by a D60 -- typical problem file for Adobe Raw Converter with PS 7.01. All conversions done with default converter settings:

     

    CONVERTED into 8-bit TIFF, ADOBE RGB, and then sized to 600x400 pixels:

     

    Photoshop 7.01 w/Raw Converter:

    600_701.jpg

     

    Photoshop CS:

    600_cs.jpg

     

    Capture One:

    600_capture1.jpg

     

    -------------------------

    100% crop (.png files)

     

    Photoshop 7.01 w/Raw Converter:

    (it's hard to see here, but this image has faint red splotches all over the black)

    crop_701.png

     

    Photoshop CS:

    crop_cs.png

     

    Capture One:

    crop_capture1.png

     

    -------------------------

    100% crop, red channel only (.png files)

     

    Photoshop 7.01 w/Raw Converter:

    crop_red_701.png

     

    Photoshop CS:

    crop_red_cs.png

     

    Capture One:

    crop_red_capture1.png

     

    -----------------

     

    As you can see, the red channel noise in shadow detail which made the old Adobe Raw Converter virtually unusable has been vastly improved. It will remain to be seen which one is "better" between CS and CaptureOne. Photoshop seems to sharpen a lot more by default than CaptureOne does, as well.

     

    More experimentation will follow, I'm sure, but someone else will have to do it because I'm leaving for the Galapagos soon. :rolleyes:

  2. Eric - Thanks for taking the time to share that information. I've got CS on the way now, so hopefully I can be experimenting with it this weekend.

     

    Have a nice trip to the Galapagos and bring back some great photos!

  3. Woohoo! That is some great news Eric.

     

    Thanks for posting the samples so quickly. I see that you posted them at something like 4am your time - now that's devotion!

     

    Cheers

    James

  4. I love this job! I describe it as "the site I manage in nearly all my 'spare' time. you know, the one that pays me nothing."

     

    ha ha ha. :rolleyes: it's a true labor of love. :P

  5. I see clear differences in color balance that cloud my judgement toward the noise. I'm afraid to have an opinion on the noise, especially in red, as a result.

     

    Is the difference in color balance integral to the noise issue or is there something else?

  6. Hmmm. I'll try to find another example some time. There are examples where there is just red noise added -- that isn't related to color balance.

  7. Lots of variables. Wonder what exactly are the "default" converter settings. Converted to 8-bit, Adobe RGB. Was it shot in one color space and converted to Adober RGB?

     

    Color Balance. Interesting issue. Perhaps we should get a shot of the fish with laminated Gretag/MacBeth color chart in the scene. :rolleyes:

     

    Noise? Could this be an issue with the default settings?

  8. My concern is that these images are sourced from the same RAW file, so the reddest image could easily have more red gain. The extra red gain alone could explain the any difference in red noise.

     

    I've always had great difficulty comparing raw converters due to the difficulty getting their outputs to match closely. The default settings are a serious issue.

     

    I agree that a shot of a color chart would be helpful since (1) you have an easier time getting close settings, and (2) flat areas of color show noise more easily.

     

    Converters have noise reduction processing built into them but who knows how they work? Adobe's is called "smoothness". Different defaults for contrast and noise reduction could cause huge differences in results even if the convertors implemented identical algorithms.

  9. I converted some Fuji RAFs last night using Pshop 7.01, Pshop CS, and Fuji EX2.0

     

    Using the default settings for each program yielded VASTLY different results. I'mm trying to figure out how to do an "apples to apples" comparison. Suggestions?

     

    I will post some samples when I get home tonight.

     

    Cheers

    James

     

    PS, How do I do what Eric did and just look at the red channel?

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.