Having recently read through quite a few posts on wetpixel, it seems to me that there may be two schools of thought on how to set camera equipment up for underwater use. Firstly, there are those who use zoom lenses, whether rectilinear or fisheye with the obvious idea that such lenses increase their versatility, or perhaps carry wet diopters to extend the versatility of their macro equipment. I would assume that these underwater photographers look at a wider range of subjects than do the second group (in which include myself) who shoot only with fixed focal length lenses and try to operate within the confines of the lens in use as it stands. I personally try to find subjects which will work best with the lens that I am using at the time, and this is an extension of how I shoot above water - no longer own any zoom lenses, preferring to use fixed focal length lenses and I try to adjust my position to suit both the subject matter and its background on an individual basis for each subjects. This, I feel to be a more disciplined and considered approach to photography which suits my way of working more, but I hasten to add I do not think that it is necessarily a better way of working, just different, and it does lack versatility underwater. I just thought that I'd post this to see how other underwater photographers feel about their own individual approach to how they set up their camera and choose their lenses, and how they feel its suits their way of working.
- 4Posts
- 4Replies
Read-only discussion
Flexibility or ..... consideration?
-
-
Having recently read through quite a few posts on wetpixel, it seems to me that there may be two schools of thought on how to set camera equipment up for underwater use. Firstly, there are those who use zoom lenses, whether rectilinear or fisheye with the obvious idea that such lenses increase their versatility, or perhaps carry wet diopters to extend the versatility of their macro equipment. I would assume that these underwater photographers look at a wider range of subjects than do the second group (in which include myself) who shoot only with fixed focal length lenses and try to operate within the confines of the lens in use as it stands. I personally try to find subjects which will work best with the lens that I am using at the time, and this is an extension of how I shoot above water - no longer own any zoom lenses, preferring to use fixed focal length lenses and I try to adjust my position to suit both the subject matter and its background on an individual basis for each subjects. This, I feel to be a more disciplined and considered approach to photography which suits my way of working more, but I hasten to add I do not think that it is necessarily a better way of working, just different, and it does lack versatility underwater. I just thought that I'd post this to see how other underwater photographers feel about their own individual approach to how they set up their camera and choose their lenses, and how they feel its suits their way of working.
I think there are two valid reasons to chose primes; quality and speed (sometimes). Probably a third less important reason, size.
On the other hand a prime under varied and unpredictable conditions can be as limiting creatively as much as it imposes discipline. The look and feel and perspective of a wide angle shot can change significantly based on your distance to subject and FOV combination. To me having the ability to zoom is no different to any other other element of composition - framing, moving closer or stepping backwards.
In a controlled environment like my pool shoots or studio work or if you are very subject and shot specific, a fixed lens make sense. When I am in an environment that will vary, or I am unsure what and how I will shoot something, a quality zoom not only gives me a better chance of at least getting the shot, but actually gives me a better chance of getting a better shot.
-
In most underwater cases a zoom lens will yield quality "as good as" a prime lens. This is because the lens usually isn't the limiting factor on image quality, it's the dome or the water that makes the biggest difference. Now that I have a really good zoom lens (16-35II) I have sold my 24mm prime as I felt it was redundant. I use the 16-35II for just about everything.
Cheers
James
-
Having recently read through quite a few posts on wetpixel, it seems to me that there may be two schools of thought on how to set camera equipment up for underwater use. Firstly, there are those who use zoom lenses, whether rectilinear or fisheye with the obvious idea that such lenses increase their versatility, or perhaps carry wet diopters to extend the versatility of their macro equipment. I would assume that these underwater photographers look at a wider range of subjects than do the second group (in which include myself) who shoot only with fixed focal length lenses and try to operate within the confines of the lens in use as it stands. I personally try to find subjects which will work best with the lens that I am using at the time, and this is an extension of how I shoot above water - no longer own any zoom lenses, preferring to use fixed focal length lenses and I try to adjust my position to suit both the subject matter and its background on an individual basis for each subjects. This, I feel to be a more disciplined and considered approach to photography which suits my way of working more, but I hasten to add I do not think that it is necessarily a better way of working, just different, and it does lack versatility underwater. I just thought that I'd post this to see how other underwater photographers feel about their own individual approach to how they set up their camera and choose their lenses, and how they feel its suits their way of working.
I use a mix of both and depending on what my primary purpose is to shoot, but as I mainly do macro my 60mm lens is the one most frequently used. I recently took only that lens with me to the Philippines and was amazed at the clarity of the water compared to the UAE where I live and really wished I had brought my 105mm. I sometimes use my 10.5 mm but found that for wide angle some versitility is required and have a 10-24mm, but not had the chance to use it yet.