Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

550D(t2i) in RDX-450D

Started by escape ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

550D(t2i) in RDX-450D

10 posts
  1. Yes, it's work without heavy modification.

     

    IMG_4438-s.JPG

     

    1. ISO button.

    iso lever inside housing is little bit long for 550D.

    I just simply remove rubber cap.

     

    IMG_4440-s.JPG

     

    There is almost no space between lever and iso button but button operate normally.

    Just have to be very careful when you're put in/out camera to housing.

     

     

    2. Mode dial

    Closing the housing was harder then normal coz' Mode dial rubber pad was too thick.

    I simply remove rubber pad. Now I can not change mode dial but anyway I never change mode dial underwater(always M).

    If I need that mode dial I'll just put another thinkness rubber pad.

     

    IMG_4442-s.JPG

     

    IMG_4447-s.JPG

     

     

    All button working without issue. of couse you don't have access to movie button.

    Interest things is "Pressure balance control valve"(almost useless) on the backside of housing.

    It's exact same location for movie button on the camera so it will be simple mod If I can get push button assembly.

     

    I hope Sea&Sea will provide DIY upgrade kit or service option for RDX-450D owner.

    Edited by escape
  2. Hi, did you try it underwater? I mean atlest 15-30 meters deep?

     

    I have got the same problem: would like to fit Canon 550D into RDX-450D housing but I am afraid of leaking.

     

    Did you try that during diving already?

     

    Thank you very much for information. :P

  3. Hi Freediver1980,

     

    I did not dive yet but I did pool(3m deep) test last week when my new dome port arrived.

    And I don't see any potential leak because you don't need any heavy modification with housing.

  4. Thanks, sounds good to me. Have 2 more questions:

     

    1) how did you remove the "Mode dial rubber pad" (the bigger one)? ...I tried to remove it but it seems to be stuck (glued-on). Did you have to cut it with a knife or something like that?

     

    2) After removing "Mode dial rubber pad" is it still more difficult to close the housing compared to Canon 450D? (I tried to close the housing without removing that Mode dial rubber pad and it was really tought).

     

    I was also thinking about presure testing... if they do presure testing for my dive computer, maybe they would be able to do presure testing for my housing as well, to be sure that it doesn´t leak in deeper water.

     

    By the way are you going to use Canon 550D in the RDX-450D housing in the future?

     

    Thanks :P

  5. I managed 2 dives last weekend with 550d in rdx-450d housing.

    Here some result.

     

    4829517385_59f3905e07.jpg

     

    4835569935_c9c5dfdc0a.jpg

     

    4830128120_a5e2b8f7c8.jpg

  6. I have the option of buying the RDX-450D housing at a great price but I really want the Canon 550D camera. Escape, would you say putting a Canon 550D into the RDX-450D housing is pretty much smooth in operation aside from the few modifications that you made? Is this definitely the way I should go if I could save $500 buying the RDX 450 D instead of the new and elusive RDX-550D housing? Thanks so much for the very helpful pics!

  7. Hey I love you Escape :D ...the pictures are great and I am happy that it works!!!

    Regarding that modifications, I consider to shorten that ISO lever (cut a few milimetres by a saw)

    so that the camera can fit inside more easily.

     

    They also do a pressure testing for housings here in London, so maybe i will have it tested

    after modifications and with 550D inside to be sure that everything is all right.

     

    To Magrone: If I were you, I would go for RDX-550D as it is still quite difficult to fit 550D in RDX450D housing.

    I am going to use 550D in RDX450D cos I don´t have a choice... I sold the old Canon 450D but didn´t manage

    to sell RDX450D as the highest price ofered on e-bay was 80 GBP (whilst I paid 910 GBP).

  8. I managed 2 dives last weekend with 550d in rdx-450d housing.

    Here some result.

     

    4829517385_59f3905e07.jpg

     

    4835569935_c9c5dfdc0a.jpg

     

    4830128120_a5e2b8f7c8.jpg

    I do have a INON straight finder that has been modified with an adapter to fit all the S&S Canon rebel housings it makes viewing truly a pleasure as it not only allows you to get your face away from the housing but it also magnifies the image This finder has never been dove and i'm only selling it as I bought it for a project and the client wanted it shot on a 5D MKII so i have an Aquatica housing instead. Contact me if interested at deedeeflores01@aol.com

  9. Im looking to buy a housing for my T1i. Let me know if anyone want to sell....

     

     

    I do have a INON straight finder that has been modified with an adapter to fit all the S&S Canon rebel housings it makes viewing truly a pleasure as it not only allows you to get your face away from the housing but it also magnifies the image This finder has never been dove and i'm only selling it as I bought it for a project and the client wanted it shot on a 5D MKII so i have an Aquatica housing instead. Contact me if interested at deedeeflores01@aol.com
  10. sorry, wrong post.

    Edited by escape
Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.