Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Can I get TTL with my Aquatica - Ikelite setup?

Started by shaines ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Can I get TTL with my Aquatica - Ikelite setup?

10 posts
  1. I have a Canon 5D in an Aquatica housing with 2 Ikelite DS-125 strobes. I know that with the current setup there is no TTL exposure compensation for the strober. What other part do I need, and does it work?

     

    Steve

  2. The heinrichs internal converter is probably your best bet.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. I have a Canon 5D in an Aquatica housing with 2 Ikelite DS-125 strobes. I know that with the current setup there is no TTL exposure compensation for the strober. What other part do I need, and does it work?

     

    Steve

     

    Ikelite sells a controller unit for Nikon TTL on third party housings with Nikonos or Ikelite bulkheads. Here's the web site.

     

    http://www.ikelite.com/web_two/ittl_adapter.html

     

    They may make a similar unit for Canon although a quick search of their web site didn't reveal one.

     

    I'd call their customer service at 317.923.4523 or email ikelite@ikelite.com

     

    I've got a Nikon in an Aquatica housing with Ike strobes, but use Manual, no TTL, so I didn't have the problem.

  4. Unfortunately there is no similar unit for Canon :-(

  5. Unfortunately there is no similar unit for Canon :-(

     

    Which is probably just as well, since my Nikon unit failed on three successive trips.

  6. I have a Canon 5D in an Aquatica housing with 2 Ikelite DS-125 strobes. I know that with the current setup there is no TTL exposure compensation for the strober. What other part do I need, and does it work?

     

    Steve

    There are also external converters available from Reef Photo. There is a Heinrichs Weikamp that works quite well although HW no longer supports them and there is a S&S version that I believe will work with Ike strobes but you will need a 6 pin bulkhead for any converter to work I think.

     

    Bill

  7. There are also external converters available from Reef Photo. There is a Heinrichs Weikamp that works quite well although HW no longer supports them and there is a S&S version that I believe will work with Ike strobes but you will need a 6 pin bulkhead for any converter to work I think.

     

    Bill

     

    The Ikelite are not known to work on the Sea & Sea TTL Canon converter, so far as I know, the internal Heinrich Weikamp is your best bet, you can retain the existing dual Nikonos 5 pins connectors and attach them to the internal TTL converter circuit. As for the external version it requires a S6 connector to be installed to which an external Inline TTL converter is attached followed with a double cord for your Ikelite, also from records the internal version appears to have more reliabillity than the external one (which is no longer supported by HW)

  8. The Ikelite are not known to work on the Sea & Sea TTL Canon converter, so far as I know, the internal Heinrich Weikamp is your best bet, you can retain the existing dual Nikonos 5 pins connectors and attach them to the internal TTL converter circuit. As for the external version it requires a S6 connector to be installed to which an external Inline TTL converter is attached followed with a double cord for your Ikelite, also from records the internal version appears to have more reliabillity than the external one (which is no longer supported by HW)

     

    Jean,

     

    I have an Aquatica D70 housing and am trying to connect with Ike strobes (DS-51s). Right now I'm using manual, but if I were to go TTL, would the Ike external connector described in the following link work. My housing has dual 5 pin Nikonos connections, the ones with two spring pins which I believe is the "standard" Nikonos connection, not the European mod. Correct?

     

    I already have the Ike dual cord, P/N 4103.52.

     

    http://www.ikelite.com/web_two/ittl_adapter.html

     

    Thanks.

     

    Harry

  9. Harry, the Nikon cameras are pretty much all compatible with the 4302 TTL converter (the exception being the D2x & D3 series that requires a 4302.2), what you likely have is a pair of Nikonos V type connectors (the defaults connectors at the time), these have 5 pins, 3 solid and 2 spring mounted one. this being said, the D70 predates the TTL converter and most likely has only two pins wired, namely the ground and sync ones, its easy to confirm, your hor shoe hold the key to the answer, if you see only two contacts then manual is only possible with the present connectors, if you can see five, the you are ready to accept the Ikelite 4302 TTL converter.

     

    If you only have two contacts and wish to use a converter, you will need to replace you existing one with either a single 5 pins TTL compatible version 18732 or a dual 5/2 pins TTL compatible version 18735, this later has a main with 5 pins and a secondary with 2 pins for manual.

     

    While on the subject of wiring bulkhead and TTL, let me take a moment to list the option for both Canon & Nikon in an Aquatica housing.

     

    Canon camera in a housing can get TTL if you have the following:

     

    Nikonos connector with 6 pins (soon to be available) and a Sea & Sea TTL converter (C model) with either compatible INON or Sea & Sea strobes

     

    S6 type connector with either a housed compatible Canon speedlite or a compatible underwater strobe (most likely European made), TTL converter from Heinrich Weikamp are no longer available (or supported) by them

     

    Nikon 5 pins connector (default connectors) when used with a Heinrich Weikamp internal TTL converter (some instalation from user is required), check their web site for the list of compatible strobes.

     

    Optical Fiber on newer housing if, and only if, the camera has a built in flash (not the 5D or 1D series)

     

     

    Nikon camera in a housing can get TTL if you have the following:

     

     

    Nikon 5 pins connector (default connectors) when used with a either the Ikelite 4302 or the Sea & Sea TTL converter (N model) or a housed compatible Nikon Speedlight

     

    Ikelite 5 pins connectors when used with the Ikelite 4301 TTL converter.

     

    Optical Fiber on newer housing if, and only if, the camera has a built in flash and the housing is designed for this type of operation.

     

    that should cover all options, if there are more, please chime in and If you have any question feel free to PM me as I don't want to hijack this thread.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.