Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Removing extension ring from dome port

Started by pool_dude ·

  • 17Posts
  • 17Replies

Read-only discussion

Removing extension ring from dome port

17 posts
  1. I am having a hard time removing my extension ring from the dome port. Would WD-40 work or some silicone base spray? I would appreciate suggestions on removing it. I left the extension ring attached to the dome port for 2 weeks, so I figure that the lubricant is all dried up and stuff.

     

    Thanks in advance to the people who respond.

  2. Silly question - but have you released the latch / lock inside the extension ring ?

  3. When this has happened to me I have put the combo on the housing then twisted the port. Result should be the dome comes off and the extension is left on housing. Then take the ring of the housing and you're sorted.

     

    Mark

  4. yeah i made sure the latch was out. I dont think its a silly question at all, since I have friends who work call center tech support, they tell me all the time that some people actually forget to plug in their computers first.

     

    Whats a combo?

  5. I had this a few eeks ago on my macro port and extension ring, instead of trying to unscrew it, attack the o ring from different directions then it may become more flexible (it did for me!) try compressing and stretching the o ring by wiggling the ext ring about pushing it towards the port and away from it, eventually mine started to show some flex, then when I tried to unscrew it, it was a lot easier. (This was after I soaked it in boiling water, and then a strap wrench, which may have helped, but none of this budged it)

  6. Hold the dome firmly in place and use a strap wrench to unscrew the extension ring. If both are still on the housing, hold the extension ring in place with the strap wrench and turn the dome by hand. Then remove the extension ring from the housing with the strap wrench.

     

    Fred

    Edited by divegypsy
  7. My extension rings often seem to get stuck. Don't force it or use grease. Put it in a bowl of warm water to let the o-ring soften slightly and then to turn it. It works for me.

     

    Daniel

  8. hi all,

    i also had the same problem in my Patima extension ring's and dome

    i have bougt two pieces of this pictures to unsrew it

    chave

  9. I am having a hard time removing my extension ring from the dome port. Would WD-40 work or some silicone base spray? I would appreciate suggestions on removing it. I left the extension ring attached to the dome port for 2 weeks, so I figure that the lubricant is all dried up and stuff.

     

    Thanks in advance to the people who respond.

     

     

    It would help to know what housing brand you have, some housing have port lock, and care need to be taken when forcing that you do so in the right direction so has not to force or bend the mechanism.

     

    and when attempting to rotate an extension from a dome, its always a good idea to put the protective cover on the dome as it might not take kindly to the big belt buckle when holding it on your lap or god forbid if the thing suddenly goes off and said dome goes flying!

  10. I am having a hard time removing my extension ring from the dome port. Would WD-40 work or some silicone base spray? I would appreciate suggestions on removing it. I left the extension ring attached to the dome port for 2 weeks, so I figure that the lubricant is all dried up and stuff.

     

    Thanks in advance to the people who respond.

    Wow, a lot of good tips here. Do NOT use/get WD-40 on your o-ring. I purchased a used Nexus multi-port & port that likely had not been removed in a coon's age. After many unsuccessful attemps to loosen, I asked a friend of mine with the nickname of "Animal" to try. One no-go and then with a frown and a grunt, it came loose.

     

    Lacking Animal's availability, get a cheap strap wrench from Ace hardware.

     

    Bob

  11. I bought my strap wrench from Sutherland's, in the dollar bin. Work great, and only cost 1 dollar each. I went crazy, and bought 2 !

  12. I bought my strap wrench from Sutherland's, in the dollar bin. Work great, and only cost 1 dollar each. I went crazy, and bought 2 !

     

    That's what we need, big spender to get the economy back on track! :P

  13. Last time this happened to me a friend called round with another friend of his - he is a police diver and his friend was another policeman. Attaching one to the port and one to the extension ring did the trick :P .

  14. Last time this happened to me a friend called round with another friend of his - he is a police diver and his friend was another policeman. Attaching one to the port and one to the extension ring did the trick :D .

    Let's see, the strength of 2 UK cops is <= the strenght 1 Texas fireman. :P

    Bob

  15. Let's see, the strength of 2 UK cops is <= the strength 1 Texas fireman. :D

    Bob

    They were probably only running at half power :P .

  16. Let's see, the strength of 2 UK cops is <= the strenght 1 Texas fireman. :P

    Bob

    and all of them together = 1 Canadian school girl :D

  17. I am having a hard time removing my extension ring from the dome port. Would WD-40 work or some silicone base spray? I would appreciate suggestions on removing it. I left the extension ring attached to the dome port for 2 weeks, so I figure that the lubricant is all dried up and stuff.

     

    Thanks in advance to the people who respond.

     

     

    I recently bought a Sea & Sea dome port with extension ring attached that had never been removed by the previous owner. I found this thread and thought I would share my solution. On my Sea & Sea RDX housing (Bayonet mount), I just put the dome port with extension ring on to the housing (with RDX-NX conversion ring attached to the housing) and rotated (hard) the opposite way. It came right off. Seems like this would work on any bayonet mount system.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.