By chance and a last minuet notice, I ended up on a night dive last night, Not having the time to fully charge batteries for my spotting light, it fizzled about halfway through the dive. After that, if turned off for a while and turned back on, it would only provide a dime lite for a few minuits at a time. NO Worries, I now know that due to the large internal diameter port flange, the internal focusing light on the S2 is usable while in the Aquatica housing. The near dead spotting light would give me just enough light to see the subject but the internal focusing light allowed the camera to focus and release the shutter. Woo Hoo!
I managed to get some great shots of a Ocellated Lionfish (Dendrochirus biocellatus). The dim spotting light did not spook the fish and it just sat there (which is very unusual). Worked just as well on a large lobster and grouper
Tim Rock had told me about this "bonus" feature with his Aquatica D100 housing, also mentioning that using the internal light only is very useful when trying to shoot when the plankton (worms) makes it impossible to shoot using a constant beam spotting light.
One more day of diving, I hope to shoot more wide angle but the weather may actually force me to do macro.
Chris B