Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Attracting Attention

Started by gracer ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Attracting Attention

3 posts
  1. Now I'm a fully fledged underwater photographer I find myself being less attentive to my buddy and am also often further away than might be desirable. In clear, warm and tranquil waters this doesn't seem too bad. However over Christmas my wife and will be diving in the Maldives which hopefully will be warm and clear but will involve a lot more current.

     

    As a result I'm keen to find a way that we can attract each other's attention when required. I'm really thinking of something to be used when one of us in difficulty rather than to point out every fish we see as I'm not that keen on rattles etc being used every minute or so throughout a dive (however if that fish is a whaleshark ...).

     

    As far as I can tell the options are:

     

    - Air Horns: they're definitely loud but what if you are out of air?

    - Rattles: simple and effective but can get annoying if they rattle unintentionally.

    - Tank Bangers: can be difficult to use and some centres use mesh on the tanks.

     

    Any advice or experience in using these would be welcome.

     

    Thanks,

     

    Richard

  2. Easiest is to clamp a metal hook onto your bc. To attract attention, rap the hook on the tank.

  3. I use a aluminium climbing karabina which clibs to my bc. It is big enough to hold comfortably if you prefer. Also no rust.

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.