Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

NEF Files appear 2 stops underexposed in CS5 Mac version

Started by nickjonesgb ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

NEF Files appear 2 stops underexposed in CS5 Mac version

5 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I recently bought a Mac Book Pro so I can edit my photo's on the move, before this I was using CS5 on a windows desk top. I am in the BVI at present, and we have major storms and dark conditions, and I have noticed on the last 2 days when downloading my photo's that my NEF images look darker than my jpegs when reviewing.

     

    I'm using a D90 and a Nikon 10.5 fish eye, set at F9.5 and 1/60 to 1/90th. Yesterday I just this down to the algae bloom and dark skies, and pushed the images by 2 stops in CS5. It wasn't until today, when after diving the HMS Rhone in clear visability conditions, albeit with dark sies again, that I have noticed that after download the images look dark. On camera they look good, and when reviewing the Jpegs (I shoot raw +jpeg.norm) that I notice the jpegs look about a stop and half lighter.

     

    I'm wondering if this is a mac issue with the way it renders nef files in camera raw. I'm new to mac's, and wondered if anyone else had come across this ?

     

    From the histograms it's clear conditions are dark, but on these very standard settings I am sure the images should not need pushing 2.5 stops in CS5.

     

    Any input appreciated.

  2. Whats the histogram showing?

  3. jpg /= NEF. The jpgs are being modified. Look at the menu settings for jpg, e.g. sharping, contrast, etc. As for the under exposure with a w/a lens, do manual or spot metering and manual exposure.

    Bob

  4. Just asking for the obvious. You dont have your exposure compensation on -2 right?

  5. This is because your D-Lighting is turned-on.

    I also have a D90 and I have D-Lighting set to minimal. When I look at my NEF files in Lightroom or CS5, they always look pale and I can not find the same vivid colors as the JPEG's created by my D90.

     

    I usually have to add +0,2 or +0,3 exposire and +10 or +15 "fill light" to get the same look & feel.

    I also change the coloer settings to the same applied to the JEG (Standard most of the time).

     

    Damien

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.