Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Interesting Software For dSLR Footage

Started by TheRealDrew ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Interesting Software For dSLR Footage

5 posts
  1. Rarevision Plugin is a software that is in beta that converts dSLR footage at a quality that is better than using QT or Canon's plug-ins.

     

    Features include

     

    - Raw YUV output option for unprocessed luma channel extraction

    - Output luminance matte as an alpha channel (ProRes 4444 only)

    - Timecode support: extracts Exif timestamp from THM files

     

    5DtoRGB takes a no-compromise approach to quality, ignoring any concerns about speed. 5DtoRGB bypasses QuickTime decoding altogether, works internally at 10 bits and uses double-precision floating point math for its YUV to RGB conversion. It also recognizes Canon's full range 8 bit YUV values (0-255), avoiding clipping and the resulting loss of picture information. The resulting files are the absolute highest quality you'll ever get out of the camera. In fact, you could argue that they're even better than the camera originals since they've undergone high quality chroma smoothing (which you can disable if you want, but you shouldn't).

     

    There is a free download of the Beta on the page which is limited to 30 seconds of conversion. Just downloaded it and playing with it now...

  2. Are there any comparisons with that software and MPEG Streamclip Drew? Been seeing some strange glitches with Streamclip recently.

     

    Cheers, Simon

  3. Are there any comparisons with that software and MPEG Streamclip Drew? Been seeing some strange glitches with Streamclip recently.

     

    Cheers, Simon

     

    What problems Simon, I was using compressor but have recently changed to streamclip. It will be good to know as a I a big commercial job coming up which will have a tonne of 7D footage, I really don't want to have to re-encode as it will be an absolute nightmare tracking etc.

  4. Hi Jon

     

    I've been getting glitches in the quality of the output clips from 7D footage when transcoding it to ProRes. It is nothing I've been able to duplicate when I rerun the export, it just happens apparently randomly now and then. Recently it has been happening maybe 20% of the time which is not that much if you are doing a couple of exports, but I recently had to transcode over 4 hours of footage and it was a royal pain. It's still way faster than Compressor even allowing for redoing 20% of the clips! I've tried re-installing etc and I can't find any accounts of anyone having similar glitches, which is even stranger.

     

    Cheers, Simon

  5. FYI They've pulled downloads for the moment.

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.