Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

I survived!!

Started by CamDiver ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

I survived!!

8 posts
  1. Went out today, intentionally in the dumpers, in fact that's all there was today at Balangan in Bali. Biggest wave I 'met' was about shoulder height. Enough to get a true trouncing. More than anything I wanted to use a small wave day to judge where I should and shouldn't be in a wave, couple of rashes for my efforts, not the last I'm sure. So yeah, dunked the camera too, testing the housing and more just a cursory excursion to see how it all fits together. The photography was not the aim today, just shaking everything out as a complete newbie. I didn't have the heart to tell the few surfers out there who were chatting about mailing any decent images etc that if I even got something in focus I'd be happy!!

     

    Was happy with the fact that I kept the port droplet free and that I didn't get into too much strife. Serious kudos to the guys that do this in the big surf for a living. I was in very small learners surf and I could feel the power just in that. All good stuff.

     

    Anyway, below are the first efforts:

    Cheers,

    Mark.

  2. great first effort mark, that second one looks like it might have hurt :P

     

     

    How did you find using the trigger on the handle? seems a bit of an awkward location?

  3. Trigger system is fine, just like any trigger. Never had a problem with them! hehehe

     

    The good thing with these is that I'm already inside the wave with my arm sticking out to get the second shot. Hit and miss ratio is a lot higher but that's the beauty of digital I guess.

     

    I was planning to go again today but Buxton put paid to those plans with an impromptu visit to the Sky Garden last night, damn that man!

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

    P.S I think I just spent my 1000th post on you Mikey

  4. Went back today for more punishment, mind you, now armed with proper fins and a helmet! Too many errant boards flying all over the place.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

  5. great stuff Mark, that second shot of the surfer going under the wave is fantastic

  6. Very cool Mark. I also like the duckdiving surfer. Wish i was out there now.....

  7. Awesome Marky ... Awesome :-)

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  8. Slowly getting the hang of it. Was out again today and getting pounded for three hours (Dean, I know what you're gonna say) in the Bali surf is a workout for sure. These were with the Canon 60mm f3.5 EFS. I had the settings cocked but it was a great day as I now understand the waves a heck of a lot better.

     

    These are with the 400D so once I get settled into the genre and more comfortable in the water I'll be swapping out for the 5DMkII. Looking forward to that.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

    Edited by CamDiver
Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.