Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Zen 100mm Dome Port Issue

Started by JKrumsick ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Zen 100mm Dome Port Issue

3 posts
  1. Hey Everyone -

     

    So below you will find a link to pictures of an issue I have with my Zen Dome Port. I wish I knew what these different pieces were so I could describe them in words but alas I am no port savant.

     

    The problem occurred on my Nauticam 7D housing. After fitting the port into the housing, you have to turn it clockwise until the dot reaches 12:00. Well, in taking it off, I turned the port counter-clockwise but (I found out afterward) too much. I then kept trying to pull the port off of the housing which loosened this plastic bit. I stopped using the port on my vacation because of this.

     

    I have tried to tighten the screws on the port (one of them is now missing) but I am afraid that the threads in the female portion or the male portion are tapped.

     

    So, now I suppose the obvious question - what in the Sam Hill do I do? Will Zen do something for me or Reef Photo? Has anyone else had this problem occur?

     

    Experience being the greatest teacher, I will never do this again. In fact, I have totally changed the way I take off my ports. Instead of pulling them from the outside, I now gently push them from the inside. This may seem like a no-brainer to you established salty sea-dogs but to a beginner like me with his first housing, it wasn't so apparent. I really wish there was a thread with some very basic practical tips on here. Perhaps there is and I couldn't find it. But if not, let's make one and make it easily accessible to the beginner. After all, settings, techniques and lighting are all fun to talk about, but when you're just starting, you need to know how to protect your investment and what pitfalls to avoid.

     

    Photos of the troubled port.

     

    Thanks for the help!

  2. If this port were returned we'd certainly evaluate the problem and suggest a resolution... I doubt all of those cap screws would back out, so I'm thinking the plastic bayonet ring may be damaged, but we'd need to have it on our hands to evaluate.

  3. Hi Slashmagurk,

     

    I just recently posted a mini-tutorial video about port and extension ring installation... one of the ports I use in the video is actually the Zen 100mm.

    http://nauticamusa.com/?page_id=968

     

    it's the third video on the list. Let me know if you have any questions.

     

    Hope that helps....

     

    Cheers,

    Chris

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.